1748237 Members
3650 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenSSH and X11 portforwarding

Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

OpenSSH and X11 portforwarding

anyone had problems using openssh and X11 port forwarding on HP-UX?

If you were able to compile openssh and able to use X11 port forwarding, please send me the CFLAGS and the path to the libraries needed to make this work.

thanks
Donny
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
5 REPLIES 5
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenSSH and X11 portforwarding

Donny,

I know this is not what you asked but here is how to set it up:

X11 Forwarding

You can modify sshd_config and ssh_config to allow X11 forwarding. Edit sshd_config to set the display instance (default = 10). After establishing an SSH connection to a remote system, HP-UX Secure Shell will have set the DISPLAY environment variable to the following:

:.0
is the machine you connected to when you initiated the Secure Shell connection. SSH attempts to set to the display instance specified in the configuration file. However, if that port is in use, SSH sets it to a different number that is greater than the display instance specified. X programs displays on the originating machine when started.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When using X11 forwarding to an IPv6-enabled machine running HP-UX Secure Shell, the X11UseLocalhost option may not work. If the machine has the TOUR (Transport Optional Upgrade Release) Version 1.0 or greater installed, X11UseLocalhost can be set to either yes or no. If the TOUR is not installed, the X11UseLocalhost option must be set to no in sshd_config on the IPv6-enabled machine. X11 applications will not connect to the display if the X11UseLocalhost option is not set to no.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set the X11UseLocalhost value to no if the X11 client uses a pre-X11R6 library for X11 forwarding

If you install the ssh version HP supplies this works.
You can get it at:

http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=T1471AA

This is A.03.71.000, based on OpenSSH 3.7p2

HTH,

Gideon
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

thanks, OpenSource rules in this land. we are not allowed to use ssh pre-compiled by any vendor - its the law.

I have tried everything you mentioned before and nothing works. Thsu I believe it must be something in compile time where I can source the X11 libraries from to make it work.

any ideas??

G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Donny,

Sorrie, i do not have the answer, but i hava a link:

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Networking/Admin/openssh-3.7.1p2/

It includes SD kits, the source and a help section.

HTH,

Gideon
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

baie dankie.
Adrian Pillai_1
Occasional Advisor

You might want to check that x11 forwarding is enabled on your client (putty, exceed etc)

Also, enable the following in sshd_config
X11UseLocalhost no
X11Forwarding yes