108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle stop development on itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

I would really hate to see HP-UX go. Hope it gets ported.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Porting HP-UX away from Itanium is not a solution, since the message simply means "no oracle for hp-ux" - no matter on what kind of platform... :-(

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> Torsten: Porting HP-UX away from Itanium is not a solution, since the message simply means "no oracle for hp-ux" - no matter on what kind of platform.

I have to agree with Torsten. Oracle is all about dominance and not coexistence. That said, despite Intel's responses, one has to wonder if an HP-UX running on x86 hardware might not help ensure its footprint in the computing ecosystem of tomorrow.

Regards!

...JRF...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Also good links:

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/enderle/oracle-tries-to-beat-itanium-to-death-with-a-fud-stick/?cs=46116

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/24/oracle_hp_ux_itanium_analysis/

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Theoretically, there's some steps that can HP do:

1. Asymmetric - start to port and work out on PostgreSQL on hp-ux. It may be difficult because of license (as far as i know, you cannot just buy PostgreSQL) and the main problem is the conservatism of enterprise customers. I just cannot imagine how to explain OracleDB guru that HP's PostgreSQL is not worse. And one more problem - time.

2. Very asymmetric - start to co-develop with Intel some kind of Superdome built on Xeon processors. That can be done with RedHat and this triumvirate, i think, could be viable. And beside of it, this "chimera", won't be locked on one DB vendor.

regards,
Philipp.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I think James just hot the nail on the head with the "dominance" comment.

Oracle, or more precisely, Larry Ellison, hates the idea of open source. The only reason, in my opinion of course, Oracle is going in Linux direction is, because they realize, they will not be able to stop that train running with such a momentum and they are taking a play from Mircosoft's play book, called "Embrace first, strangle slowly".

Otherwise, everything Oracle did so far points to the fact that, they try to be the "be-all, end-all" solution to any database need. They tried it with Oracle Disk Manager but could not succeed. Now that they have a closed source OS (Solaris) and hardware platform (Sparc) to go with it, there is no need for them to develop their product on other platforms.

This might as well be an indicative of things to come, like no more Oracle on any other HW/OS but manufactured and licensed by no other than Oracle itself.

One thing I am not sure is, this scheme Ellison is playing, may not hold water with regulatory authorities as it will stifle the competitive market forces.

I think we will see what the time will bring, soon. Living in very interesting times for sure...

Hard days for Oracle on HP-UX customers.
I never shocked when I hear the news here, somehow I was waiting when it comes the Oracle's present trend.
my customer use informix on HP-UX servers now ,so no problem for now as others said here.
Alternatives, first wait what is going on now ,then benchmarking and consideration , and choosing alternatives..
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone,

I guess HP has hit back with a response after Oracle's decision using words like "inferior"..... Woh!....

Mark Payne, VP of business critical systems at HP EMEA told The INQUIRER "We are shocked that Oracle would put their customers' enterprises at risk. This is an effort to force customers to buy an inferior hardware platform and drive lock-in. This can only be interpreted as an act of desperation. HP remains committed to supporting our customers and their choices."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2037203/hp-claims-oracle-servers-inferior-hardware

Adding to Alzhy ..... I sincerely hope the last itanic man standing {HPUX} stands "firm" for as long as it can!

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Oracle - the Mega Stack.
Hardware/Software Complete.

Shame on the regulators! The anti-trust regulators should HAVE attached strict conditionalities on allowing the SUN acquisition.

This is really a low blow by Larry O. What now stops Oracle from stopping dvelopment of the Oracle stack of apps for say AIX/IBM? Potentially they CAN knowing they've got many customers literally by their b??lz!

Rah rah HP, continue with the Itanic march if Otellini really thinks INTEL can waste away $$$ on the chip's future!

Who knows - this may just start a bandwagon for alternative stacks like DB2, Websphere, Hadoop... Note also there are still non-Oracle stacks on the ERP market like SAP...

OR, HP could just accept the reality as Fujitsu and Hitachi already did -- shedding their Itanic Server line for good. He y HP still sells dozens of Prolaints per second anyway... and Focus on LINUX!

Cheers!

Maybe ITRCians should already plan Good Bye HP-UX Parties soon?
Hakuna Matata.
Michael Mike Reaser
Valued Contributor

Alzhy: Maybe ITRCians should already plan Good Bye HP-UX Parties soon?

This would be the second one for me in the past decade. I was first introduced to HP computers in the fall of 1979 via the HP3000 Series III which not only ran the entire administration of my University but was also used for academic purposes. I first worked on an HP9000 in the late 80's while I was at the Atlanta Response Center, and until my current job (RM COBOL on SUSE, woo!) I always used a 3000 and/or a 9000, running MPE(III/IV/V/VP/VE/VR/XL/iX) and/or HP-UX(3.0 through 11.11v1).

RIP HP3000, RIP it's "in-place replacement" the PA-RISC HP9000, and RIP the replacement's replacement Itanium. *Sigh*
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

HP-Server-Literate since 1979