108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle stop development on itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Iams

Hi all,

I am an analyst at the IT research firm Ideas International, and I am trying to assess the impact of Oracle's decision to stop supporting Itanium.

I created a poll asking which possible alternatives users might consider for the Oracle database on HP-UX:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QR69RTN

If you stop by, I will post the results in a few days.

Regards,

Tony Iams
Senior Analyst, System Software Research
Ideas International, Inc.
tonyi@ideasinternational.com
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

You can't stop Oracle from doing it... but I still hate it...

Apparently, it's "All aboard the Alzhy train with Oracle on Linux" ...

:-) :-( :-) :-(

Keep an eye on Alzhy's postings, he's already stepped in a lot of the holes that I feel we're soon destined to step in ourselves as well... :-) :-( :-) :-(

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Tony - "Oracle on Linux" - not there?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Though HP and Intel says, they will continue to support Itanium ( in fact Oracle too says, they will give support to existing customers ), the real pain is for HP only. Most ERP solutions with HP-UX, SAP utilizes Oracle DB.

SAP owns Sybase database. Whey they haven't tried an alternate on this yet? SAP could utilize their own DB and can dominant in ERP solutions (still they are) without an help. But something out there.

This strategy could have been expected an year ago, when Oracle tightened their agreement and contracts with those who own old SUN machines. It is a burden for those customers. Now, it is trying to boosting their business and beating others.

Competition is good, but it shouldn't be worsen for others.

HP has to come up with a quick solution. But do you think, Oracle will make some software for HP ? Definitely not. They are too far away from this now.
Regards
Shibin
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

My feeling of the last years is that Oracle has become a money-hungry monster that wants every last penny out of your pocket. To do that, it will do anything.
The only reason why some baseline products are cheap, is because there is similar cheap competition. Those costumers that heaily depend on the Oracle Database, need increasing bugdets to keep it running.

For instance : In the past, you could by new, faster hardware with faster processors and you could do more with the same number of licenses.
Now, with Oracle's per core licensing for Enterprise Edition products, it doesn't matter anymore to buy new hardware. If you need more work to be done, you have to seriously pay for aditional core licenses.

We are running Oracle on HP-UX for years, and I don't even care if HP or intel withhold information of an upcoming death of Itanium. If that would indeed be the case, it will be up to HP to tell the sour story to there costumers, and Oracle could have said : Come to us, we will help you.

I don't like the way Oracle moves. Am am *NOT* planning to move my Oracle database to another platform. What guarantee do I have that Oracle won't nail me to the wall with a next move ?
- Drop support for AIX ?
- Drastically increase support prices on non-Oracle Linux ?
If they can cold-bloodedly kill Oracle on HP-UX, you can expect anything, as long as you are willing to pay enough.

So, for our company, Oracle will be killed. We won't even run MySQL, because that's Oracle too.
We will go for IBM DB2 of EnterpriseDB PostgreSQL, but Oracle won't have us as a client for long.
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

By the way, EnterpriseDB PostgreSQL seems to be quite confident about it's Oracle compatibility.
I wonder if HP and EnterpriseDB could cooperate to make it a real Oracle alternative. Something like OpenOffice to Microsoft Office.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

And what about features and performance of EnterpriseDB PostgreSQL? Can you approximately say something like "postgresql has about 70% of oracledb's performance and 60% of features"? I'm not familiar with databases, that's why i'm asking.

Regards,
Philipp.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Maybe it's finally time to forget Oracle ? To throw it straight to the dustbin ?

I can see that many end users are fed up with Oracle's licensing strategy, with their suspicious attitude against customers and finally their hegemony. But they still build custom applications around Oracle or mostly prefer ERP working with Oracle databases ...

The problem is that there is yet no alternative solution widely recognized. Everyone is doing it's small business in its corner and try to be THE Oracle's challenger.

A said by somes, could we imagine that IBM and HP are clever enough to build a strong aliance around DB2 ? Or will HP finally acquire SAP and SYBASE to be a 'one player' as Oracle want's to be :-( ? Will informix come back from the deaths ? Will god save the queen ?

More seriously, end-users, please : don't wait, just move. You can't accept anymore Oracle's attitue and YOU are doing the market.

Anyway, even if we are shocked, we had some signs before. Otherwise, how should we interpret the Exadata Database Machine ?

May be it's time for me to do a different job : wrought-iron work as I always dreamed about it, or why not chef or cabinet-maker ... ;-)

Eric

> You can't stop Oracle from doing it... but I still hate it...

Ummm - you CAN stop it! As customers of Oracle many of you are quite within your rights to complain vociferously to your Oracle rep, and to demand this baffling decision is undone. Just shrugging your shoulders and moving on is the best way to ensure this does happen. If you care at all about staying working with HP-UX, you owe it to yourself to speak to your manager/CIO/CTO and get them talking to Oracle about this.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

oh, and a quick history lesson...

last year Oracle withdrew support for Solaris/x86 on any hardware except their own Sun systems - customers complained strongly about it, and Oracle reversed their decision.

And the $ impact of that decision was much less than this one...

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo