Operating System - HP-UX
1753868 Members
7396 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Owner and group of files not related to users/group in the system.

mar_q
Occasional Advisor

Owner and group of files not related to users/group in the system.

It happened to me that some files in the system had owner and group numerical. Althought I read about it some time ago I can't find explanation anymore. Could you explain me what is it?

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

If there are no entries in /etc/passwd or /etc/group for the UID/GID, then numbers are displayed.

It can also show up if you are using NIS and the demon needs restarting:

/sbin/init.d/nis.client stop

/sbin/init.d/nis.client start

Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hey,

This is something I learned from my guru.  Well, if you see numerical values for owners in the ll output it corresponds to those users who are no longer defined on the system. A specific user could create a directory or a file somewhere in the file system tree space ... Lets say /tmp and for some reason or the other the system administrator removes the account with userdel.

Now, what happens to the files created by that user in /tmp. This will be in the form of a numerical value as the system no longer has a record of the user but the user wandered out into the filesystem space when he/she existed as a defined account. Sometimes it is good to use the /- nousers option with find, to find such users and possibly list or delete them depending on what is required.

Regards

Ismail Azad

Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....