1748216 Members
3455 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PA-RISC on hpvm (Integrity)

antonioelderprado
Occasional Advisor

PA-RISC on hpvm (integrity)

Do you know if it is possible for me to put a pa-risc environment inside a hpvm running on integrity (ia64). basically, i need to test ipv6 on 11v1, but my machines are really old and i cannot make those ipv6 work on that old OS and old chip-set architecture (some N-class machine, C3600).

what i would like to do:

go on a rx machine,

create a hpvm 

install 11v3 - PA-RISC or 11v2 but needs to be Pa-RISC

I cannot use aries as emulator.

if you have any ideas, i would greatly appreciate,

thank you,

./antonio/.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: PA-RISC on hpvm (integrity)

>>I cannot use aries as emulator.

Why not? The only way to run _any_ PA-RISC code on an Integrity system is under Aries emulation.

Why can't you get IPv6 running on 11iv1? You have installed the necessary bundles?:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayInstallInfo.do?productNumber=T1306AA&kiosk_app=&kiosk_id=#v1

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
antonioelderprado
Occasional Advisor

Re: PA-RISC on hpvm (integrity)

hi Duncan,

thank you for the reply;

i was reading on HP (one of the sites regarding ipv6) and there is a matrix (unfortunatelly i do not have that link with me anymore) where the N-class and C3600  machines are not chipset compatible with ipv6; basically the entire test is for us to have one application that runs on 11v1 - PA-RISC to use the ipv6.

what i do need to validate is, that application running on pa-risc using ipv6, 

if i run using aries, i will validate that app on ia64 (i guess...)

as far as i remember, ipv6 runs on rp machines or up; not on old N or C classes.

thank you again,

./antonio/.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I need to test ipv6 on 11.11,

>install 11iv3 - PA-RISC or 11iv2 but needs to be PA-RISC

If you need 11.11, I'm not sure why you want to install 11.31 or 11.23?

You may want to install HP 9000 Containers, if that supports IPv6.

>rp machines or up; not on old N or C classes

Some N classes were retconned to rp numbers.

antonioelderprado
Occasional Advisor

hi Dennis,

perhaps i am not clear on my needs,

what i need is to test ipv6 on pa-risc

however; on pa-risc all that i have is 11v1 and 11.0 running on old n class and c3600.

i have several integrities, but of course, on ia64.

i am trying to install the bundles and apps for ipv6 on those machines (pa-riscs), but fails and for what i read it is due to those old machines chipsets not being compatible with the ipv6 bundles and requirements.

if you have any suggestion, please let me know 

yes, to buy some rp boxes would be one (but right now we are on budget constraint...)

hey, appreciate your help,

thank you

./antonio/.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

I assume you're downloading the IPv6 software from here:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=T1306AA

That page includes download links for 11i v1, v2 and v3 as well as links to documentation.  The installation instructions for 11i v1 systems are here:

http://h30279.www3.hp.com/catalog_content/product/install_page/T1306AA.html#v1

The release notes for the 11i v1 version of IPv6 are here:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02029826/c02029826.pdf

I've looked through both of those documents and I don't see any mention of hardware/chipset requirements for IPv6.  

Exactly what problem are you seeing when you attempt to install the IPv6 software?  What messages is swinstall displaying?  Where did you read that the problems you're seeing are related to the specific chipsets found in older servers?

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: PA-RISC on HPVM (Integrity)

>perhaps I am not clear on my needs, what I need is to test IPv6 on PA-RISC

Very clear.  But I'm not sure using HPVM meets the spirit of your needs?

>I am trying to install the bundles and apps for IPv6 on those machines (PA-RISC), but fails

As Dave asked, what are the error messages?

>I don't see any mention of hardware/chipset requirements for IPv6.

It does say 32 bit servers.  I assume that means PA1.1 and not just PA2.0 running a 32 bit kernel.