7054 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PALcode Information.

SOLVED
Go to solution

PALcode Information.

Everyone,
Can someone tell me what is the proper way to upgrade the PALcode in a ES45 Model 2B
Firmware revision: 6.9-2
PALcode: UNIX version 1.92-33
AlphaServer ES45 Model 2B
It seems that after the firmware upgrade the PALcode still the same.

Thanks in Advance!

David
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

PAL Code is automatically upgraded when you do the firmware upgrade. In this case there simply wasn't a PAL change made going from firmware version 6.8 to 6.9.

Ok, Sorry, I forgot to mention that we were in version
Firmware revision: 6.6-17
PALcode: UNIX version 1.92-33 AlphaServer ES45 Model 2B

David
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't have a 6.6 system handy to verify David, but I'm guessing you're in good shape. It's very likely that a PAL update hasn't been included in the last several releases.

Thanks again!

David

One last question. When was the last time the PALcode was upgraded or in what Firmware revision was the PALcode updated?

I think the current revision is 2.5 for PALcode, but can not find the info on the web. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

David

Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

David,
I got this from the firmware release notes for the ES45 platform:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/v6.9/doc/es45_v69_fw_relnote.pdf

PALCode for EV68 CPUs
-> OpenVMS V1.98-43
-> Tru64 UNIX V1.92-33

Console Firmware
-> SRM V6.9-3 *
-> RMC V2.3
-> SROM V2.22-F
-> TIG V2.6

* Firmware changed since previous release

---

This indicates that the PAL did not change in this version (only the SRM component did).

The doc indicates that you have the latest PAL. According to the firmware version history presented in this doc (search for "PAL"), the last time palcode was updated was SRM V6.4.

FYI: I usually use this as a starting point:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readme.html

Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

I don't have access to all the interim releases, but I do see that with firmware version 6.2 the PALcode version was 1.90-30. Exactly when between 6.2 and 6.6 it might have changed I can't say.

As to the current PALcode version being 2.5, I don't think so. The PALcode ALWAYS ships with the firmware CD and the latest Alpha firmware CD is 6.9 with Tru64 Unix PALcode 1.92-33. PALcode versions are different for different OS or platforms. Are you maybe getting some info for VMS and/or Itanium?