New Discussion юеВ

PARISC processors to Itanium processors

SOLVED
Go to solution
catastro
Super Advisor

PARISC processors to Itanium processors

Hi all.
I am planning on migrating one of my rp4440 servers from 2 Dual core PARISC processors to 2 Dual Core Itanium processors.
I believe this can be done as the server has on the processor I/O Module a switch for PARISC or Itanium mode. Am I right?

I have HP-UX 11iv1 running with all the upgrades that are on the web. My next question now is, do I have to do a cold install or upgrade (or something like that), or after changing the CPU the Operating System will come up again with no problems? I mean the base Operating System and it's applications.

Another question now, is that I have Oracle 10 running on this server as well. I know Oracle 10 for PARISC and Itanium are different.
If I install the Oracle10 for Itanium on another directory than PARISC, after that I can point the Oracle to get that data from the Oracle PARISC directory and so on?

I have as well on this server my ignite server and OVO server running. Am I going to be able to make them run on the new Itanium Plattform?

For last, I attach a swlist output from this server. I know many of my actual applications have to be changed, but I woul like to know all this questions.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PARISC processors to Itanium processors

You will have to completely reinstall the operating system after install Itanium CPUs.

The PA-RISC version of the OS absolutely WILL NOT work.

There will probably have to be some firmware upgrades as well since Itanium servers use the EFI boot loader.

I honestly think you would be better off buying a NEW Itanium server, installing HP-UX, installing Oracle, OVO, etc and migrating your data.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but at least your rp4440 with the current database and applications would be up and running and not down for a few days while you upgrade and re-install all necessary applications.
catastro
Super Advisor

Many thanks Patrick. That's all I needed to know about it. Now it's time for my bosses to decide wheter buy new PA-RISC processors, new Itanium ones or a completely new server.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is possible to convert a rp4440 into a rx4640, but it is a special procedure.

After this is done, you need to cold install the OS.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Depending on how many cores I thought I would need, I would probably replace an rp4440 with either an rx6600, rx3600 or rx2660. One advantage (IMO) in thost newer, still on the CPL systems, is the presence of the wizzy web-based iLO stuff - I use vmedia all the time for installs because I am always doing one-shot installs.

They also have the added bonus (depending on your point of view) of having beefier I/O slots in either PCI-X or PCIe flavors, and an ability to have up to 16 (limit is 8 on the rx2660) internal 2.5" discs.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows