1752780 Members
6537 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI slot no in HP-UX

swamicse
Occasional Contributor

PCI slot no in HPUX

Can some one please help me in finding out the PCI slot no(storage controller) in HPUX except OLRAD command, since olrad is not supported in some integrity server models.

I need to use this slot number in my source code. This is now blocking my entire product for release.

Thanks in Advance

10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: PCI slot no in HPUX

The "olrad" command is probably the only source (expect "ioscan -m resourcepath" on SD2), so you usually need to know the server model and the H/W path - slot relation, then decode the hardware path.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
swamicse
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten. I am using server model "ia64 hp server rx3600". I tried ur cmd "ioscan -m resourcepath" but its not supported in my server model.

Is there any way to decode the hardware path? ( means how to convert h/w path to slot number)

Right now I am using this to get slot no  "olrad -g 0/6/0/0/0/0/1/0/0/0". But this technique i can't use in my source code. Even i tried by tracing this command using TRUSS syscall tracer utility but i am not able to get proper IOCTL calls. I also attached the output of syscall tracer.

Thanks a lot for ur Help & support.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm not aware of such solution.

Back in the good old times (when the Nova server class was current, meanwhile ~15 years ago) there was a rule to decode the h/w path to a slot. But later each server has its own way to specify this path. Meanwhile you have totally different paths even within the same server family, let's say the pci-x backplane of your rx3600 is again different to a mixed pci-x/pci-e backplane. How a bout mezzanine cards in blades? Different again.

As said, the SD2 server is the only model that is showing you something like this:

# ioscan -m resourcepath
H/W Path Physical location Resource path
====================================================================
0 0x100ff01ffffff94 blade-1/1
0/0/0 0x1000100ffffff8e iorc-1/1/0/0
0/0/0/0/0 0x100010000ffff8e iorp-1/1/0/0/0
0/0/0/0/0/0 0x10001000004ff88 ioslot-1/1/4

Maybe future models will support the same.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> I tried by tracing this command using TRUSS syscall tracer utility but I am not able to get proper IOCTL calls.

It looks like all this info is in /dev/config and /dev/olar and a few ioctls.

Have you looked at libIO on 11.31?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Never looked into this, but probably it is using something like an own database to show the relation between path and slot depending on the model and installed backplanes. unfortunately olrad is showing such information for hotswap able slots only. It would be nice to see similar information for non-hotswap slots (currently in SD2 and blades) too ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

swamicse
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for ur valuable inputs guys. I got to know one more command in HPUX which is displaying slot number,

Using " ioscan -P physical_location " command i am able to get slot number. 

Class          I             H/W Path                                        physical_location
======================================================

slot             8           0/6/0/0/0/0/1/0/0                                  0x03  --------------- slot number
ext_bus     0           0/6/0/0/0/0/1/0/0/0                               N/A

slot            9            0/7/0/0/0                                               0x05 ---------------- slot number
ext_bus     2           0/7/0/0/0/0                                            N/A

The funniest part is , this  comamnd is working properly in hot swappable controllers(olrad command working servers) but not able to get in non hot swapable controllers.

Also i attached complete output of both (hot swappable & non hot swappable controlers) for above given command.

waiting for ur valuable suggestions.

swamicse
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dennis... i am looking into the libIO in HPUX. i am trying to write sample c pgm to convert hardware path to string.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BTW, I don't know what your goal is, but remember, most systems have mass storage controllers already built-in, this means NOT in a slot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

swamicse
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten, My goal is to identify the storage controllers (embedded or external) using slot number only.Even if the controller is embedded it will be having slot number.

I have to fire so many operations for the particular controller, so before that i need to select my controller first using slot number. Here I am stucking now very badly. Since I am not able to select the controller how  will I fire the controller operations?

Thanks ,