1752320 Members
5695 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

POSIX

Emile La Madeleine

POSIX

Is ther a way to determine what the latest POSIX version is supplied with UNIX version 5.1b. While building the application files the /usr/include files do not seem to have the 200112L flag. Can someone point me in the direction I need to go to detemine if the latest POSIX version is installed and if not what are the steps needed to get the latest.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Re: POSIX

There's lots of different POSIX standards and specifications, can you give more information on which POSIX standard and/or specification you're interested in? What is the 200112L flag and what is it used for?
Emile La Madeleine

Thanks Ann for your reply. From what I have been able to determine we are currently using the POSIX standard from 1995. Our customer would like us to migrate to Posix 1003.1-2001. I believe the flag that I had mentioned (200112L) is a parameter tha can be set in set _POSIX_C_SOURCE. But to do this I think we need the Posix standard that our customer wants to be installed. So I am back to being Mickey the Dunce. Where can I go to get info .

Thanks
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

The QuickSpecs for V5.1B-4:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12669_div/12669_div.HTML
Shows which versions of the several parts of POSIX 1003.1 are supported in Tru64 UNIX V5.1B-4. Not sure exactly which of the POSIX 1003.1* specifications you're interested in, but it doesn't look like we support anything past 1997. Tru64 UNIX isn't adding any significant new functionality, so what you see is what you get from Tru64. It's likely you'd be able to find a 3rd party or open source C compiler that would work on Tru64 that is conformant with the later POSIX specifications, but I don't have any information on that.

Why is your customer concerned about what POSIX version you're compliant with anyway, do provide them with source code? And why pick a later version instead of an earlier version? From what I've seen, most of the standards are backward compatible but not forward compatible. So if you want to be compatible with more systems I think you should pick the earlier version of the standard to be compliant with, not the later. Just my opinion :)

Ann
Emile La Madeleine

Thanks Ann for your response. I think you have given me enough info so I can be be somewhat intelligent with my response to our software developers. And yes the customer owns the source code.