108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PVLinks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

PVLinks

Do you need secure path (or something similar) for the setup of alternate paths to the same lun to work properly?
Today is different and tomorrow the same.
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: PVLinks

Hi Dave:

No. LVM provides a primary pvlink and up to 7 more alternate links, for a total of 8-pathes to one physical device, by default. Nothing additional is required.

Regards!

...JRF...
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

HP StorageWorks Secure Path is a high-availability software product that manages and maintains continuous data access to the following StorageWorks storage systems on HP-UX:

EVA5000
EVA3000
HSG80 (only supported on Itanium on HP-UX 11i v2)
VA family
XP family

If you Storage Firmware is Active-Passive, then I would suggest you to have a Failover software to have high availability

11iv3 is having in-built multipathing sofware free of cost..
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

You could refer to
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1130565

This might help you with your requirement
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Only if the array is of the active/passive breed like EMC^2 Clariion / CX series. Those are *not* supported with PVlinks; many people will still just use them, but it's clearly stated in the docs.

If you do not run of those arrays, take a deep breath you'll have a happy life with PVLinks or the newer implementation coming with 11.31.

Note that Securepath also gives you sophisticated loadbalancing and thus might still be very well worth using!
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.