1753604 Members
6320 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Partition problem

Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Partition problem

Server HP rx4640. Smart Array Disk Controler in RAID 1. Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4.7.

I have installed the OS and partitioned in both ways (Autopartition with Volume Manager and Disk Druid particion) at installation time, and I will always get the following error when I use the FDISK utility:

WARNING: GTP (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/cciss/c0d0'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

How can I avoid this problem? what other utility (instead of fdisk) must I use? What to do about it?
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Partition problem

>>> Use GNU Parted.

You can use gnu parted to partition your disks or change the partition table type with the mklabel command or parted.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Hello Ivan,

I uknown the syntax or way to work of the parted and/or mklabel. Could you help me with a detailed syntax or explanation?

This is the fdisk output:

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 73.4 GB, 73401876480 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8923 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 1 8924 71681519+ ee EFI GPT
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Run:

parted /dev/cciss/c0d0
mklabel msdos
quit

Then, you can use fdisk again.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Ivan,

During the second step, told me that the partitions was in use, and gave me the option to Ignore/Cancel... I proceed with Ignore and continue with Quit and reboot the system. The partition table simple disappeared.

I am reinstalling the server again.
Tonatiuh
Super Advisor

Any other idea?