New Discussion юеВ

Re: Patching/updating a system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Kaufman
Occasional Contributor

Patching/updating a system

Hi all,
I've sorta been handed this role of "keep these HP systems up and alive". I have some HP sysadmin experience in the past, so I know my way around unix in general and swinstall and other HP-specifics.
I've done patching in the past, but it's always been onsie-twosie. These systems are SO out of date that I'm sure I'll need to apply some patch bundles.
Here's my dilema: how do I know WHAT to install? I know I'm going to make many eyes roll with this analogy, but is there some kind of "Windows Update" equivalent on HP that will tell me "go and get this service-pack/patch-bundle" or "go get this individual patch cuz you need it."

I HAVE downloaded the Security Patch perl thingie, and it gives me a list of 80 things to do. Do I really have to go and check each PHSS, PHNE, & PHCO individual patch listed and find the most recent "superceded by" and install them all individually??
That seems awfully... inefficient.

Help?

-Mike
7 REPLIES 7
Alan Meyer_4
Respected Contributor
Solution

At this point, I'd get the latest GOLD patch bundle and install it and you should be fine.

You can find the latest for your version of HPUX here http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|
" I may not be certified, but I am certifiable... "
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Mike:

The standard patch bundles available from the ITRC Patch Database or via SUM are cumulative. Thus, you can bring your system very up-to-date by installing the most recent bundles.

Another advantage to using these collections is that they represent the best tested, broadest set:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|

In the page link above are other links that will help you understand the content, terminology and release cycles.

If you are new to patching HP-UX systems, I would read through the Patch Management Guide. It is not as daunting as it may look:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-2722/5991-2722.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What OS version are you talking about ? If it's HPUX11.11, so it's not so old and you may courageously install the lates GOLD Bundle.
If this is HPUX11.00, take the last QPK and install it. I installed QPKs with3 years gap, without any problem.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

Take their advice and apply the latest GOLD Bundle for your os level

When its doing the analysis phase during swinstall it will tell you if you are missing a patch or can't install certain patches because of dependencies that may not be on your server but this should happen when installing a bundle.
This should be factor when you install patches for application/security needs.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Mike Kaufman
Occasional Contributor

Ah yes, I guess I should have mentioned what version of HP-UX.

Most of the systems (and the one I am working on currently) are 11.00. I have only 2 11.11 and 2 11.23.

I see from the patch bundle page you guys have quoted that almost all of the bundles are for 11.11 and up. The single link for 11.00 is dated way back in March 2004. Is this correct? Have there been no patches/bundles released for 11.00 since then?

Also, Victor, what do you mean by QPK? I see a "quality pack", but again it's for 11.11, not 11.00.

I will start with the 11.00 link.

Thanks,
-Mike
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Mike:

Yes, for 11.0 March 2004 would have been the last standard patch bundle collection.

"QPK" = Quality Pack. The links I mentioned off the Patch Database page offer insight. The nomenclature goes in circles.

http://us-support.external.hp.com/estaff/bin/doc.pl/screen=estaffDocs/sid=0154bc8304bb56e46e?Log=%s&File=patches_main/hpux_bundles_qpk.htm

Regards!

...JRF...
Mike Kaufman
Occasional Contributor

Sweet! Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I wanted to do.
I'll be bookmarking that patch bundle index page for next use.

Thanks again!
-Mike