Advisor

Performance Checking

What are the things to check if the system is performing slow
9 REPLIES 9
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Performance Checking

CPU consumption, memory contention, I/O intensity/conflict, network bandwidth.

What's my prize?

Pete

Pete
Narendra Thapa
Frequent Advisor

Hi Pete,
Do we have a specific monitoring tool or a script to watch the performances which you have listed? :)

Please let me know if we have some integrated HP tools to monitor machine performance.

Thanks in advance.

-Narendra
"Study as if you were going to live forever; live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

There's all kinds of tools. Sar, vmstat, iostat, top, ps, and, for those who can (everyone should) afford it: Glance.

Pete

Pete
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Ragesh

When a system is performing poorly, some resource is lacking. If the problem is a system resource, then it can be classified as either a CPU, memory, or I/O bottleneck. resource problems can occur that are not system resource problems

thanks and regards

Sajjad sahir
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And, now that I think about it, who the heck are you, Narenda? I was answering Ragesh's question and you interrupted with a question of your own.

Pete

Pete
Narendra Thapa
Frequent Advisor

Sorry to disturb you Pete but the question was co related to Rajesh's question.
If you feel bad than sorry about that.

"Study as if you were going to live forever; live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

The way this Forum is supposed to work, Narenda, is like this: a person asks a question and people attempt to answer that question. The questioner then rates the answers in order to 1) reward the responders for the time and effort they put into helping him and 2) to hopefully help future readers of the question determine what was actually valuable in solving the problem.

If you need further clarification on something, ask your own question, possibly referring to the URL of the original question if it is pertinent to do so.

Pete

Pete
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ragesh

You can use top command to check the utilisation of CPU's processes.You can also use glance command.

Regards
Sunny
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Ragesh,

I did a google search on "performance tuning cookbook +site:itrc.hp.com" and came up with quite a few interesting threads, one of which is this:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1244031474238+28353475&threadId=889475

Stuart Abramson's and Jean-Luc Oudart's answers are of particular value, I think.

Pete

Pete