108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Please help with this fbackup issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
mbbmzxl
Occasional Contributor

Please help with this fbackup issue

I am using hpux 11.11 , DDS4 standalone tape drive , when the fbackup session was running to backup a filesystem , I lost network connection and all the putty sessions were inactive , but the backup session is still running background , I just lost control to the process , the backup has been there for long time , and several tapes will be needed to finish the big backup ,does anyone know how to get control back ? I need to add new tapes to the drive and let the fbackup session know it .

thanks in advance for any guide

Helen
6 REPLIES 6
mbbmzxl
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone ,any solutions for this issue ?
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can not get disconnected session back. You should kill the fbackup process and start over.
For the future you should either run the backup process on the console, local or remote (if you get disconnected from a remote console the session is still on the console device when you connect back to the console). Also you could run it vi cron (no diusconnects) but utilize the "chvol" feature for changing tapes.
vaishakh k
Advisor

Hai ,

If the fback up process is working in the back ground you should first kill that process by using kill -9 command.Otherwise it will create log file.

Try to ogin through the system console instead of remot console and try with fbackup .Then check still the same problem is there. i thing it is due to remot console n/w issue.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There is no way to reconnect. Kill the fbackup job then if this is a regular backup job, get a tape changer. The cost of having people standing by and the loss of the complete job due to networking far outweighs the cost of an auto-changer tape system. Another (very uinsecure) method is to run the session from your GSP or MP port. Because the GSP/MP port is a separate computer, you can disconnect several times and still reconnect to the console. The security risk is that this port is managed by very simple code and will usually fail network audit requirements. If you put the GSP/MP port on a separate, unrouted network, you can then access the port through another system and control security in that way.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mbbmzxl
Occasional Contributor

thanks everyone ! points assigned !
mbbmzxl
Occasional Contributor

thread closed