New Discussion юеВ

Re: Plumbing IP on a vnic in a Virtual Machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
OScar123
Advisor

Plumbing IP on a vnic in a Virtual Machine

Hi ,

I have a Integrity VM host. 4 VMs have been created on it.

Now There are 4 LAN cards on this host on which 4 vswitch have been created. Only to one of the NIC on the host, IP has been assigned. rest 3 no ip assigned

Now my question is, there is one vswitch3 which is used to bind a vnic on one of the VM. IP is not assigned to the physical NIC(from which vswitch3 has been created) on the host but the vnic which has been created through this LAN card (vswitch) has been assigned a IP.

Can I now assign one more virtual IP to this vnic as we normally do in a standalone machine using command

ifconfig lan0:0 netmask <>.

Please let me know whether I can plumb a virtual IP on the existing vnic being used by one of the VM
4 REPLIES 4
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
I don't see any problem in doing this. I've been testing it couple of months ago and we don't have any issues with it.

g3jza
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Although in the 'hpvmnet -V' output on the host it reports only one IP at the same time, depending on which IP was being used recently. Funny is that when I ping from the vmhost the vmguest on the primary IP, then #hpvmnet -V reports the primary IP and then immediately when I ping from the vmhost the vmguest on the logical IP's (lan0:1), then the #hpvmnet -V reports only the logical IP.
OScar123
Advisor

ok it means I can add a virtual ip on a virtual nic.

So i can edit the netconf file on my guest OS.??

Secondly let me know if I can assign a IP to a host physical NIC on which I have created a vswitch..as an example "vwitch3" in my machine

I just discussed with my colleague who managaes VMware and he told that it is not possible in Vmware to assign IP to a host physical NIC on which a vswitch has been binded
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Yes you can add another virtual IP to your vnic on your guest and put it in netconf file.

The second part:

I've just tried that myself on our test environment. It's surprisingly working. I've assigned an IP address to the VM host's pNIC, which is backing the vswitch for another vm guests and both the VM host and VM guests backed by that pNIC are reachable over the network.