5722 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Poll question: follow-up question to HP-UX upgrade or cold install

marie-noelle jeanson_1
Trusted Contributor

Poll question: follow-up question to HP-UX upgrade or cold install

Hi,

For those who may have missed my follow-up question thrown in the middle of my prior thread which you may not have seen, the question was:

Let's say HP-UX introduces a new feature on the new OS (agile addressing, not to name it) that requires pretty significant changes in the system config and the system management:
would you choose to continue managing your system the old way or would you jump in and use the new way?
Which way would you like HP-UX to set by default after cold installing the new OS: Legacy or new?
(knowing that you need to learn a bunch of stuff to get up to speed on the new one, but it provides features nice to have. And HP will provide you with documentation on how to go from one to the other).

Thanks,

Marie.
12 REPLIES 12
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Re: Poll question: follow-up question to HP-UX upgrade or cold install

Hi Marie,

Q1) Would you choose to continue managing your system the old way or would you jump in and use the new way?

Need to look which one fits for me. (I will vote 70% old and 30% new)

Q2) Which way would you like HP-UX to set by default after cold installing the new OS: Legacy or new?

Mixture of both..

-Arun

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

1) I would immediately try the new "improved" method on one of my Sandboxes.

2) Whether or not I then used it for real would be determined by Step 1.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Based on the new revisions starting with 7.0, I would never configure a new production machine to use a new config and management system. SAM was supposed to be the end of command line and config file editing back in 8.0 but I did not consider it stable (reliable) enough for production for another 5-6 years. I would try the new system on a sandbox system and go through a checklist of possible hardware and software configs, patching, Ignite backup and restores, mirror disk configs and failure replacements, multiple LAN cards, etc.

I think it would be fairly risky to set the default to new style as it may create very difficult problems right out of the box. This forum can provide a lot of expertise but the help provided may have no meaning on a system with totally different system management tools.

Although it may be possible to document a switch between the two methods, I'm sure there will be config problems that will confuse one or the other methods, leading to a possibly broken system (especially networking). And just like Trusted versus shadow and standard password systems, new (untrained) sysadmins may not know what they are using leading to a lot of confused questions. So the new system should have easily identifiable items to make the distinction.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Like Bill and Clay, I start by installing on a sand box (my workstation). If I can't manage to break it, I'll install on the development server, making sure I can fall back if need be, either through Ignite backup or a split mirror. Once the developers stop whining, I will then install on the production machine, again ensuring that I can fall back if need be.

Pete

Pete
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

would you choose to continue managing your system the old way or would you jump in and use the new way?

I would try out the new way on one of my test boxes or as the others stated, on my "sand box" before trying it out on one of my critical test boxes. It all depends on how this goes will determine if I will use it in the future.

Which way would you like HP-UX to set by default after cold installing the new OS: Legacy or new?
I would prefer it to be a mixture.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Like all others, I would have to play with the new features first before making a decision on whether or not to use it in production.

For cold install - default to legacy or new? --- Why not give me a choice during the install? If I had to upgrade/install a new machine before testing the "new" methods, I would likely choose legacy.
DCE
Honored Contributor

Marie,

Like all of the others, I would first get up to speed on the new features on a sandbox system. That would then determine how fast I move to the "new" way. As with all changes, eventually the "new" way will eventually become the default way - it is just a matter of obtaining the knowledge, and letting the first couple of versions go by.

I would prefer that on new systems there be an inititial choice between the two ways - with the new being the default selection.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Marie-noelle,

1- I would try it on the Apps test system, noting all necessary steps and time to implement it;

2- If this "agile addressing" would be an improvement for ALL types of environments (OLTP, Datawarehouse, Web server, etc...), it should be default, otherwise it should be asked to choose between the new and the old feature.

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

This is a job for the 'sandboxes'

I try to be up to date with the latest and greatest but this also depends on work flow - do you have time to research?

Which way I go would depend on the benefits I see, find, or hear about in using the new methodology.