Operating System - HP-UX
1753971 Members
7423 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Poll question: how to you move to the next HP-UX release?

marie-noelle jeanson_1
Trusted Contributor

Poll question: how to you move to the next HP-UX release?

Hi HP-UX system admins,

I would like to know what is your preferred method of upgrading a system from a major HP-UX version to another (for instance, 11i v1 to 11i v2):

- do you upgrade your existing systems or do you cold install?
- do you use ignite-UX
- what would make you choose to use a cold install versus an update (major change in the OS, ...)?

Thanks in advance, and rush now for your points!

Marie.
25 REPLIES 25
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Poll question: how to you move to the next HP-UX release?

Hi Marie,

I've been fortunate enough to time my server upgrades to coincide with my server replacements, with the unfortunate exception of one 10.x to 10.20 upgrade. All the others have been new, cold installs on new hardware and that's the way I prefer it. Aside from the chance of an upgrade going bad, as mine did, it gives you a chance to re-size your root file systems, clean out all the old patches, and, in general, just gives you a nice, clean starting point.

I will say that I have heard good reports about modern upgrades - 11.0 and above - but I would still prefer a cold install over an upgrade.

Pete

Pete
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

We tend to replace the servers themselves. I've only actually upgraded one production server (though have done it a bunch of times in DR tests), from version 10.00 to 10.01 then to 10.20. The 10.00 to 10.01 upgrade was the worst thing I've ever had to do. It took two attempts and over 30 hours to do.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

We're staying put with 11.11 instead of going to 11.23 and successors (if there are) on PARISC. Reason is we're already (un)predictably satisfied with its performance. Unless of course HP-UX 11.23+ comes up with really good features and improvements (i.e. sub-cpu virtualization, tools to remove the guesswork on why an application is slow, etc.). We're quite hapy with the HP-UX 11.11 + Veritas combo (VxVM/VxFS 3.5) that we use. Until Veritas/HP tells us 3.5 is no longer supported -- then wew might go to 11.23.

BTW, we do a cold install always - instead of upgrading the OS...

Hakuna Matata.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Marie:

1. I prefer to cold-install instead of doing an upgrade. This offers the option to resize vg00 filesystems and intrinsically eliminates any predecessor release patch cleanup.

2. I use Ignite-UX as a backup/fallback of the old OS first if I am installing onto the same hardware. Ideally, I prefer to cold-install and patch new, replacement hardware and 'vgimport' non-vg00 devices. In those cases, I still perform my own cold-installation; erasing any factory ignition in order to size filesystems to my needs and tastes.

3. "What would make [me] shoose to use a cold install versus an update? --- certainly a major OS change; but see #1.

Regards!

...JRF...
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

I had the misfortune of doing an upgrade from 11.0 to 11.11 and after that mishap, I prefer to do cold installations, it saves times and it keeps you from having to figure out why an upgrade went south. I only use ignite tapes for disaster recovery efforts. We'll probably upgrade to 11.23 when we are forced to, which means 11.11 is no longer supported by hp or some new database/applciation has only been tested with the 11.23 release.

If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I have done upgrades in the past - with some trouble....I too prefer cold installing, and/or new hardware with the latest HP-UX on it.

I have used ignite to install an image as well.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
DCE
Honored Contributor

Marie,

I prefer the cold install - The times I have performed upgrades between major releases there has been "clean up" tasks that had to be performed. Plus there always seems to be a bit of the old OS around to trip you up at the most unlikely of times..........
marie-noelle jeanson_1
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. So far I see that cold install is really the preferred option.
I am just puzzled by one thing, does it mean that you have to reconfigure all your system and applications after you do a cold install?

And one more question:
Let's say we introduce a new feature on the new OS (agile addressing, not to name it) that requires pretty significant changes in the system config and the system management:
would you choose to continue managing your system the old way or would you jump in and use the new way?
Which one would you like to see as default on the new OS?

Thanks,

Marie.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I prefer cold installs - the only advantage to an upgrade is that one "might" (can't really remember if its' true) be able to keep his/her codewords for current software, and not have to look up and regen all those keys.

However, despite that I've tested upgrades before, I've always ended up being happy to cold install and get an opportunity to "re-lay" file systems, programs, filters, etc.

I guess I would consider upgrades more often if I felt that the system wasn't left with gobs of remnants of the old OS somehow buried in there, that I'll have to keep forever (or until the next cold upgrade).

I have to say though, with the end of PA-RISC line (a series of big mistakes by HP IMHO) I'm really inclined to stay with 11.11 as it works fine for us. I don't see the need to upgrade the OS until I upgrade the chipset to Itanium sometime in the future.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett