Operating System - HP-UX
1745871 Members
4501 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Possible to transfer tuneable parameters?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Possible to transfer tuneable parameters?

Hi,

I am building a new system which is very similar to another system. Anyway, there are bunch of tuneable kernel params that have to be changed. I need the same values that we have on another HP-UX 11.23 system. Is it possible to export them from one system and import them to the other somehow?

Thanks,
S.
8 REPLIES 8
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Possible to transfer tuneable parameters?

man kconfig

[This is in the 1M section].

Specifically, it sounds to me like you need to do a "kconfig -e my_tunable_config" on the old system, copy the resulting my_tunable_config file and then do a "kconfig -i my_tunable_config" on the new system.

I'd caution to be careful of drivers/kernel modules installed on the old system which aren't on the new one [kconfig is more than just tunables, though I would expect careful pruning of the resulting file would suffice to get it down to tunables only]... you should likely use the "-V" (version checking flag) if you want to use the file as-is to make sure there aren't conflicts.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

On the source node run the following:

#cd /stand/build
#/usr/lbin/sysadm/system_prep -s system

this will build a config file from the running kernel. Copy that file to the /stand/build dir on the other node. On the other node do the following:

#cd /stand/build
#mk_kernel -s ./system
#kmupdate
#shutdown -ry 0

that should be it.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Actually that may not work. I keep forgetting that 11.23 is different. I am still stuck on 11.11. Placing gun next to head as I type.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Hey Don...that is exactly what I was looking for but I was looking at kmtune and didn't see anything. My question is that I want to trim down the export file to be imported on the new system to just the tuneable params, so when I import it...will it leave everything alone that is already there (modules, etc) and only modify those tuneable parameters that are in the import file?

Thanks again.
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Also, after I import the new params (kconfig -i /tmp/file) do I have to rebuild the kernel or just reboot?
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

I tried to import and got the following (both systems are HP-UX 11.23):

ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "pstat_socket" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "clonedev" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[global_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "get_pst_stream_size" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[global_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "get_pst_socket_size" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[global_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "sth_get_sth" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[filedetails_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "idle_biod" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[tunables_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "async_daemon_count" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libpstat.a[tunables_pstat.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "fdetach" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libscall.a[init_sent.o]"
ld: Unsatisfied protected symbol "lv_real_mode_config" in file "/usr/conf/lib/libsvc-pdk.a[rm_common.o]"
54 errors.
ERROR: The kernel build did not succeed: ld: exit 1
The arguments that were supplied to the linker are the linker
are stored in file /stand/failure_ldargs.
PC_7
Frequent Advisor

You may want to ensure that patch PHCO_34195 is installed.
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

I will start a new thread with my error.
Thanks all,
S