108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Presenting LUNs to VM Host for VM Guests

SOLVED
Go to solution
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

>>The extra LUNs get presented to the VM Host I then present them to the VM Guest and no reboot for the Guest is required? Just an ioscan and insf -e?

Yes, provided that adding these LUN's does NOT cause a new "scsi card" to be installed in the Guest machine.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Thanks Melvyn, how can I check if this is likely to happen?
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

look at each VM in detail, and see what the current addresses are for each backing store. Remember that the VM sees each backing store as a SCSI disk, so when adding to a VM, unless you overide the configuration by supplying a bus/target setting (middle of the 5 fields in the syntax) then it starts with SCSI ID 0, and goes up to 6, 7 being the virtual scsi card if I recall. So check whether adding a further backing store may go higher than this, in which case it should "install" a new virtual scsi card which requires a reboot of the Guest to recognize it
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
N Ward
Regular Advisor

I've had a look at each VM and they all have one adapter present SCSI Id 0-7. It currently has 3 devices using it, leaving ids 4-7. spare, so I guess this should not be a problem.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

correct. As long as you do not specify the optional fields, as in:
disk:scsi::disk:/dev/rdsk/cxtydz
Then it should just use the next address
N Ward
Regular Advisor

I have added the first LUN to the Guest and it has asked for a reboot, which I wasn't expecting.

"hpvmmodify: Unable to dynamically create device....... - Protocol error" then asks for a reboot.

Command used:

hpvmmodify -p1 -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/rdsk/c20t0d5
N Ward
Regular Advisor

No-one experienced this before?

I was hoping given the configuration and the fact we had available slots on the VM that no reboot was required. This message seems to contradict that..
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I have to check the manual again, but I guess this online feature starts with version 4.0.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The manual says (version 3.5 also):

All types of virtual storage devices can be added and removed dynamically fromvirtualmachines.
That is, virtual disks, virtual DVDs, tapes, media changers, and CD/DVD burners are all
hot-swappable.However, the virtual storage adapters are currently not hot-swappable. Therefore,
if all the virtual storage adapters are full, you must reboot the virtual machine when you add
additional devices.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Thanks Torsten, RTFM I guess, but I did already have some knowledge about the adapters, hence I looked at the Guest first.

There is capacity so it should have taken the next available ids.. It doesn't make sense.. I will try and post the ioscan output for verification..