Re: Printer disabled

SOLVED
Go to solution
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Software installed successfully.

When I tried running "addqueue -h 1.2.3.4 -q PRT6455 -b off -e off -r off", there's an error :

sh: addqueue: not found.

I checked and found that it's in "/opt/hpnpl/bin" :

-rwx------ 1 root bin 36864 May 28 2002 addqueue

Seems like the installation is "not complete" eventhough there was no error as I am not able to do "man addqueue" - error "No manual entry for addqueue."

Also what is the switch "-i 261"?

Sorry.. I am very bad at this... =(

Thanks for your patience.

so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Pls disreqard my last post.

Been looking up past ITRC posts and found nuggets of helpful info.

Managed to get the queue created. I have sent a printout there and awaiting confirmation that it's printed (the printer is at a far away location).

Thanks very much for you patience and help.

Really appreciate it.

Regards

so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Seems like it's not working. While I had no problem installing hppi and adding the queue, it doesn't seem to be printing.

I tried sending a text file for printing :

# lp -dPRT6450 test
request id is PRT6450-4 (1 file)

and when I check it using "lpstat" it's always showing:

# lpstat -pPRT6450
printer PRT6450 now printing PRT6450-4. enabled since Sep 13 09:00
fence priority : 0

Did I miss anything?

Thanks & regards
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Run the command:

hpnpadmin -v 1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the printer. It should report a long list of information and statistics. If you get an error that the printer is unreachable or not responding, you may have port 9100 disabled in your firewall. You'll need that port open.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I missed the previous questions...

> When I tried running "addqueue -h 1.2.3.4 -q PRT6455 -b off -e off -r off", there's an error :
>
> sh: addqueue: not found.

The path for /opt/hpnpl/bin was added to the HP-UX login PATH but you must login again to get it updated. The path is stored in /etc/PATH.

> Seems like the installation is "not complete" eventhough there was no error as I am not able to do "man addqueue" - error "No manual entry for addqueue."

Actually, this is the same problem as above. Your $MANPATH variable must be updated by logging in again.
>
> Also what is the switch "-i 261"?

This is the printer ID. The addqueue program automatically identifies HP printers but nothing else. The printer ID 261 is the closest HP printer ID and simply selects the printer model script for your printer.

Were you able to add the printer using addqueue? If you used SAM, you must select the "Network Printer" option (which runs hppi). If you used "Remote Printer", you set it up the same way as before.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

With your help (many many thanks !!), I managed to get those printers with JetDirect connection printing. =)

But I also have other Canon printers that are connected via "built-in" network cards (not JetDirect print server).

Using the "addqueue" for these printers doesn't seem (although they worked for JetDirect connected ones) to work as the spool seems stuck.

I have also tried using "SAM -> Adding Remote Printers" but that didn't seem to work either.

I sent a simple text file to the printer and here's the result of "lpstat -o" & "lpstat -p" :

------------------------------------------
# lp -dPRT2230 README-HP.txt
request id is PRT2230-1 (1 file)

# lpstat -oPRT2230
printer queue for PRT2230
-- Idle
PRT2230-7393 root priority ? from
PRT2230-1

host1: PRT2230: ready and waiting
no entries

# lpstat -pPRT2230
printer PRT2230 is idle. enabled since Sep 14 13:42
fence priority : 0
------------------------------------------

"lpstat -o" & "lpstat -p" seem to show stuck spool?

Thanks once again for your help & patience.

Regards

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> But I also have other Canon printers that are connected via "built-in" network cards (not JetDirect print server).

As I mentioned above, there are VERY few non-HP printers that are compatible with HP's JetDirect protocol. The Canon ImageRunner series (big and expensive) may have JetDirect or port 9100 capability) but smaller one do not. These printers can only be connected using the "remote printer" method in SAM (or lpadmin).

> Using the "addqueue" for these printers doesn't seem (although they worked for JetDirect connected ones) to work as the spool seems stuck.

addqueue is only for JetDirect printers. Using will setup the printer for HP protocol, so your Canon printers just ignore the attempts to print.

Use removequeue to remove PRT2230 (since it was added with addqueue). For all other printers, you would use lpadmin -x to remove the printer.

Now before you add the printer using SAM, you need to find out what internal name is required to use the printer. The remote printer protocol is called RFC 1179 and is primitive by today's standards, but all SysV Unix systems (like HP-UX) must use this protocol.

After deleting the printer, run sam and select printers, and Add Remote Printer (not Network printer). There will be 3 lines to fill out:

Printer name (the Unix print queue name)
Remote System Name (the printer's IP address)
Remote Printer name (the internal name of the printer)

The 3rd line is the most difficult. I've tried to keep a running list of the dozens of printer manufacturers with their internal names. For Canon, the names are print PRINT XJDIRECT pt1 or lpt1. The best answer would come from the manufacturer but when you mention Unix hosts, support folks get very nervous. If you can't get the name(s) for your printers, you'll have to try each one. Add the printer and send a job. If it hangs, delete the printer and try another name.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot for your patience and replies !

I have really learnt a lot about unix printing from your detailed explanation.

Just so you know, I have managed to get those Canon printers printing, all thanks to you !

Thank you once again for your patience and help !

Regards
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Issue resolved