108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printers

SOLVED
Go to solution
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Printers

There are two printers NK96 and NK97. Printer NK96 is having a problem. User wants the printing from that printer (NK96) to be diverted to NK97. How can i go about doing it?

9 REPLIES 9
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

lpmove NK96 NK97

Man lpmove for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

I forgot to mention that both the printers are network printers. Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I should add the lpmove, moves existing requests and that you must first stop the scheduler.

lpshut
lpmove NK96 NK97
lpsched

For new print requests then the user should specify the printer.

lp -dNK97 myfile

or by setting the LPDEST environment variable.

export LPDEST=NK97
lp myfile
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Hi A.Clay Stephenson,
Thanks for a prompt repy. If i do lpmove NK96 NK97, will the jobs sent to printer NK96 be printed on NK97? I'm a bit confused. Also i need to shut the print scheduler before using lpmove. Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Do a man lpmove. Print jobs which have already been sent to LK96 but haven't printed will be moved to LK97. Yes, you must stop the spooler before issueing an lpmove.

New print jobs should either explicitly be sent to LK97 using lp -dLK97 or implicitly by defining a new default printer for this user. He should set and export LPDEST=LK97.
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Hi A.Clay,
As per the infromation 40 users are affected because of printer NK96. I am not sure who these 40 affected users are but what i know is that they are SAP users. How can i confirm which all users are using NK96 as a default printer. Also where is the LPDEST variable defined (Is it in the users .profile)? Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Yes, LPDEST is an environment variable and can be set in each user's .profile but since you are printing from an application then the place to redirect the output is in the application. You might consider removing both the NK96 and NK97 queues and recreating what is now the NK97 printer as NK96.

Now the really smart way to do this, is to start over and delete both queues. Add queues NK96P and NK97P which are exactly the same as your existing printers. Make both printers NK96P and NK97P members of the same class called NK96. Now your SAP users will print to the class NK96 (and the application won't know the difference). Whichever printer is free and available will be used. Ideally, the two printers are physically located near each other.
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Thanks A.Clay.... This is not related to printers.Can you provide me with basic information of trusted and non- trusted systems and also what is M/C service guard. Thanks.
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Thanks once more.