New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing Stop in HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Volkmar,

what you are suggesting is highly unlikely in my opinion, unless of course there is a colossal misconfiguration. Windows printing should not 'block' printer. It will just look busy, maybe for an extended period of time if a big print job is coming in. lp spooler is clever enough to buffer the print and wait until the printer status changes.

Since we are talking about remote offices here, I am assuming the connectivity between these offices and the main office, where the server sits, is unknown to me and most likely a connection less than ideal and prone to disruptions. That sounds like the most likely cause but without being on the system and poking around it is hard to tell.

This is just a guess. Oracle Financials has it's own configuration for printing that can add setup strings for the printer say to switch to landscape mode, etc. Perhaps there's an error in the setup that is causing the printer to go offline. You may want to check the Oracle application end.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Again,

>>may be this is problem in HP-UX configuration<<

If you strong on this, I would still insists you to upgrade server patch level or atleast update the spooler patches.

In my experience, this kind of many issues have been fixed by installing the latest patches.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It sounds like most of your printers are actually connected to some other system (Windows?) and HP-UX is sending print jobs using the remote lpr/lpd protocol. Unfortunately, this is a primitive protocol (rfc 1179) and has no printer status at all. So conditions like out of paper, paper jam, print server reboot or offline, etc cannot be handled gracefully. If the network is occasionally unstable, printer hangs will be expected.

I would use lpadmin rather than SAM to manage your printers. That way you can work directly with a single printer. However, you may have to stop and restart the spooler and this cause 100% of all print jobs to start over from the beginning.

For printing in different cities, I would abandon use of remote printing and create a special script to send the print jobs with intelligence and recovery. This will require some minor programming on the remote PCs to look in a directory and print the contents. But at least you will have a reliable long distance print system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin