New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing error 'waiting for queue to be enabled "

SOLVED
Go to solution
basis sap
Occasional Advisor

Printing error 'waiting for queue to be enabled "

Hi, all"

I am having problem to make a printer work.

It is a HP laserjet printer connected to the network through a print-server by parallel cable.

The printer is always reporting "waiting for queue to be enabled" in the log file. I have tried to clean and restart and enable the queue but didn't work.

I have thought about the possible cause may be the setting on the print server is incorrect. For all the past printers I have installed, they are all connected via JetDirect box so no settings at printer side are needed. This HP LaserJet is the 1st connected through a print-server. Do I need to make settings at the counterpart of /etc/hosts.lpd or /etc/hosts.equiv?

Or from your guys exp, what is the common cause of this error "waiting for queue to be enabled"

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
basis sap
Occasional Advisor

Sorry but forgot to mention I am setting up this printer as remote printer.

We used to connect all printers via JetDirect box so no settings at remote side were needed.

Now this printer is connected via a print server, do I need to make settings at remotesid, i.e., on the print server to make the printer work?

Thanks.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

can you tell us what kind of print server you are talking about?

greetings,

Michael
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The print server supports LPD? You can use lprsetup to configure a remote printer with LPD.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
basis sap
Occasional Advisor

The printer is at our office in another state. SO sorry I didn't know the model of the printer server at the beginning.

I was just told by IT guys over there:

1. Printer is HP LaserJet4350n
2. Print server is D-Link DP-G321

Ivan, I think the print server support LPD. Will you pls tell me more on when I use lprsetup to configure a remote printer with LPD, what settings I need to make on print server? Add my unix server into the counter-part of /etc/hosts.lpd of print server?

Thanks.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

# lprsetup

Tru64 UNIX Printer Setup Program

Command < add modify delete exit view quit help >: add

Adding printer entry, type '?' for help.

Enter printer name to add [lp1] : hp4350n

Printer Types:

Help Types:

? - General help
printer? - Specific printer type information

Enter index number, help type, '(q)uit', or 'ENTER' [Generic Unknown type]: 86

You chose printer type 'Generic Remote LPD'.
Is that correct? [y]:

Enter printer synonym:

Set spooler directory 'sd' [/usr/spool/lpd1] ? /usr/spool/hp4350n

Set printer error log file 'lf' [/usr/adm/lp1err] ? /usr/adm/hp4350err

Set remote system name 'rm' [] ? 192.168.1.1

Set remote system printer name 'rp' [] ? LPT1_TEXT

Enter the name of the printcap symbol you wish to modify. Other
valid entries are:
'q' to quit (no more changes)
'p' to print the symbols you have specified so far
'l' to list all of the possible symbols and defaults
The names of the printcap symbols are:

af br cf ct df dn du fc ff fo fs gf if lf lo lp
mc mj mx nc nf of on op os pl pp ps pw px py rf
rm rp rs rw sb sc sd sf sh sr st tf tr ts uv vf
xc xf xn xs ya yd yj yp ys yt

Enter symbol name: q

Printer #1
----------
Symbol type value
------ ---- -----
lf STR /usr/adm/hp4350err
lp STR
rm STR 192.168.1.1
rp STR LPT1_TEXT
sd STR /usr/spool/hp4350n

Are these the final values for printer 1 ? [y]

When you are asked for rm, specify the ip of the remote printer.

When you are asked for rp, specify the name of the queue. And here is the problem, the name of the LPD queue is documented in the print server manual, usually, is named LPT1, LPT1_TEXT, LPT1_PS, LPT1_RAW or something like that. Check the documentation.

Access controls in the print server are normally not used. Also, the print servers use to have a web page to configure the device, and there you may see the queue names. Using a browser, connect to the ip of the print server.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
basis sap
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Ivan:

Thanks for the detailed reply :-)
I have looked at the configuration webpage of the print server. There is nothing about queue name there. Then I went to dlink.com to download the manual of the print server. From the manual it looks like the print server has a dedicated manual for Unix printing which is included in the CD. I am waiting for the IT person to email me the CD manual.

Normally when we installed printers connected via JetDirect box, we give the printer an ,then in lprsetup we set it up as the following:
1. Printer name -> alias
2. printer type -> remote
3. printer synonym -> alias
4. spool dir -> use default
5. error log file -> use default
6. remote system name -> alias
7. remote system printer name -> text or raw
(use raw only for labal printers)

In your reply,you mentioned for rm, use print's IP, for rp, use the queue name.

I am a SAP basis admin, I have been following my fellow Tru64 admin's doc to set up printers since he left our company. All the above entries asked by lprsetup always confused me. It looks like I can use the printer alias for most entries like printer name, printer synonym, and rm. What are all these entries for? What is rp for? As I said, for printers connected via JetDirect, we specify "text" or "raw" for rp entry. Why is that? I have read the 40 pages about printer in the 1000 pages Tru64 System admin manual but did not get an anwser. Will you please help me out here?

Thanks.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The rm can be the ip, or the host name as specifiec in the /etc/hosts file or in the DNS server.

In you case, you specify the printer name, alias, rm with the same values because the printer name and alias are irrelevant (can be anything, and the alias can be different of the printer name), and the rm value, is the host name, so is probably that you have an entry in the /etc/hosts file for a host that have the same name of the printer like:

192.168.1.1 alias.domain alias
basis sap
Occasional Advisor

hi, Ivan:

Yes. I have the alias specified in the /etc/hosts file as :

IP-of-printer alias

I mean, it looks like the rm can be any name you give to the remote system, right?

Talking about rp, what is this parameter for? Looks like it is used to specify whether the printer is a text printer or a label printer in the case of setting up printers in our company.

In your previous reply, you mentioed that to make the printer connected via print server to work, I need to specify rp as the queue name of the printer? Why?

Thanks.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

many print server have more than one port for printers and with the port name they distinguish where the print goes to.
Some print servers have a special port name whereby you can add a Carriage-Return to a line feed for unix prints.

Michael