108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing port not working

SOLVED
Go to solution
suju
Advisor

I am using Hp2500c deskjet Printer, this is not a network printer, But I am using it as a remote printer,
Now i want to edit the print file to remove unwanted text
Nitin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

> I am using Hp2500c deskjet Printer, this is not a network printer, But I am using it as a remote printer, Now i want to edit the print file to remove unwanted text

This is a very important detail. The DeskJet 2500c is an old (by printer standards) inkjet and does support PCL codes (escape sequences). But it is very important to know that there are several versions of PCL so unless your report writer knows about the 2500c, many of those codes will just print as random text.

Removing these codes is almost impossible with a script. The reason is that PCL escape sequences can be 2 characters or they can be 10 or 20 characters or more. It depends on what the codes are trying to do with the target printer. If your report writer was designed for a LaserJet 5si, then most of the codes are unknown to the simple 2500c.

The only solution is to rewrite the program so it does not insert any printer-specific codes, or upgrade the program so it is compatible with the printer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
suju
Advisor

Dear Bill Hassell,
In every report/ printout the escape cahracters are same, so I have removed these cahracters by using a script running in background(By using tr & sed)
Now I am able to take the printouts without these cahrs but in a single font & type. But how Can I again edit the file to do the formatting of some Text(Bold & big size headings)in a file & take the same printout, on the same printer connected as a remote printer on a windows PC.
The formatting includes Font size, Bold, Underline etc..
Thanks
Nitin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

To format your document the way you want requires a Windows program for as MS Word. You can insert the correct escape sequences using vi but it is very tedious. Here are the two manuals you will need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13210/bpl13210.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13211/bpl13211.pdf

Yes, they are very long manuals and there are hundreds of codes to control the fonts, their size and spacing. I am going to guess that the program which creates these reports was never designed to work with this printer. HP-UX does not have tools for page formatting and more important, does not have a common printing meta-language and drivers for each type of printer. Unix-geeks will point out programs like nroff can provide some page formatting but not in the same class as MS Word or other PC programs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
suju
Advisor

My firewall were on from windows side, I turned them off and I am able to take the printouts
Thanks to all of you