5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Printout sequence number

Roland Piette
Regular Advisor

Printout sequence number

Hi,

I use hppi as printer management software and I am facing with a potential problem for an application witch wants to print a huge printout in separated spool. The sequence number is composed of 4 digits. What happen when, for any reason the request doesn't free quickly enough and the all sequence numbers are occupied.
Is it possible to set the sequence on 5 digits ?
Thanks in advance for your advies !
Roland
3 REPLIES 3
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: Printout sequence number

I am not sure if you can set this number to 5 digits without recompiling the lp binary and put yourself out of support, but, if you have 9999 print jobs waiting to be printed, you have an issue bigger than the sequence numbering in your hands. You may think about adding more printers and print queues to this system and distribute the load. Think about the spooler disk space your 9999 waiting jobs will occupy if nothing else. and by maing it 5 digits, you will multiply it by a 10 factor. Does it sound reasonable to you ?

Sorry for pointing the obvious.

Hello Mel,

Thank for this quick answer.

Yes I know the restriction and the needed resources. I just anticipate the request of the business. The goal is to produce mailing with different number of pages depending of some process parameters. I suppose that the sequence number is a global number witch increase for all printer queues. To print thousand documents of one page is nearly equal, in term of space, to a document with thousand pages. I am just looking forward to know if it's possible to define this sequence number format in a configuration file. I am not welling to lease the standard and recompile the programme.

Have a nice day
Roland
Roland Piette
Regular Advisor

I close this subject without real solution.