Operating System - HP-UX
1753451 Members
6059 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem setting up LDAP-UX with AD - continued...

SOLVED
Go to solution
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

Problem setting up LDAP-UX with AD - continued...

...from http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1265135929967+28353475&threadId=1382044.

Hi Jeffrey - thanks for the previous answer in your original thread (above).

This way I can give you points for your trouble! :)

I'm still getting to grips with this, but getting there slowly...

One question I do have for now - you mentioned that you don't have the Identity Management for UNIX snap-in installed as that isn't required. How do AD users, when logging in to your HP-UX servers, get UID, GID, shell, etc. etc. information? Don't those have to be defined within the properties of the AD user (which you need the snap-in to enter those details)?

Also, I was assuming the LDIF file was used independently to extend the AD schema - so that the extension could be done "outside" and separate to the HP-UX driven config utility...but it sounds like you're saying that that's NOT the case and the LDIF isn't used to extend the schema, and is just used on the HP-UX server...or did I misunderstand?

Cheers,
Graham.
22 REPLIES 22
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom Graham,

I've been through this and shared your pain.

Only certain conditions will allow this process to succeed.

Windows Server 2003 must be Release 2, or include a number of patches or the procedure indicated in the HP-UX integration document will fail.

To answer your specific question, the /etc/nsswitch.conf file will include information pointing to the LDAP server.

This will, all other things being correct, provide ID information to users on the HP-UX system that are in the AD server.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

Thanks SEP - I know I'm all set on the AD side in terms of 2003R2 and the RFC2307 schema...

What I'm still (trying to) getting to grips with is what the LDAP-UX schema update is, whether it is actually even required!, and if so, does it/can it be done seperately with an LDIF file instead of through the configuration utility...
Jeffrey W Watts
Advisor
Solution

There are a couple of parts to Identity Management for Unix from what I've been told (I have never worked professionally on Windows). There's a snap in to Users and Computers that allows you to set the four attributes that are needed: gidNumber, loginShell, uidNumber, and unixHomeDirectory (I map gecos to displayName).

However I believe there's also Microsoft's NIS support, including an NIS server. I don't believe that it's possible to install the snap-in without getting the NIS support, and our admins don't want it on the domain controllers. I wouldn't blame them.

Anyhow, during the transition our AD admins used ADSI edit to do the field changes (since our pool of users isn't very big), and they created a webform that our Account Administrators can use going forward that populates the four fields on existing accounts. In our environment it's trivial to populate those four fields as we have everyone in the same base group, everyone has the same shell, their home directory is based on their domain and username, and their uidNumber is their PeopleSoft ID. Very easy to determine programmatically.

I don't know what kind of Windows environment you're in, and if your admins are cool with installing IMfU then it should be a bit easier for you - just make sure that the folks adding users don't screw up the data entry.

My larger point was that you don't need IMfU to actually provide the services - there's no "support" that's being provided, the only piece you're using is the GUI snap in.

As far as the LDIF goes, that's just the format of the file (LDAP dump, essentially). In the previous thread we were talking about two different files.

Originally, I was thinking I needed to extend the schema and I asked for an LDIF of the the schema changes so that my AD admin could extend it manually. Once I realized that I didn't need to extend the schema I had Monty@HP Support send me a working LDIF of the ldapux_profile.ldif. This profile contains the LDAP configuration, and serves the same function as /etc/ldap.conf on other servers where NSS_LDAP is used.

In a "normal" LDAP-UX deployment this file consists of the data downloaded by ldapuxclientd from the AD server (from the Profile object created by the schema extension) and compiled into the profile cache (ldapux_profile.bin). I short-circuited that behavior. Once I adapted it to my environment (which is trivial if you've done this before, and a little daunting if you're new) everything worked just great.

To summarize, this is how I believe the LDAP-UX client daemon works, by default:

1) Looks at ldapux_client.conf under the [profile] section to see where to find it's profile information and how to generate the profile cache once it's downloaded.
2) It downloads the profile information from the LDAP server and generates the profile cache (ldapux_profile.bin) using create_profile_cache by default.
3) It uses the profile cache and the authentication cache (pcred) and does its business.

In what we're doing, here's what's happening:
1) ldapuxclientd reads ldapux_client.conf and finds nothing under [profile], and as a result does nothing.
2) It uses the profile cache already present and the authentication cache (pcred) and does its business.

Essentially we cut out the middle step. HP was nice enough to make the requisite tool (create_profile_cache) standalone, and was nice enough to have that tool be able to read from a flat file, making this method trivial to execute.

I'd argue that for fairly consistent and static environments (and I'd argue that most environments are like that), it's much easier to do things this way as the configuration can be deployed non-interactively. It's very easy to script this deployment method. Here's a sample of how to deploy an updated profile (should your domain controller change, for example):

# scp -p updated_ldapux_profile.ldif server.example.com:/etc/opt/ldapux/ldapux_profile.ldif
# ssh root@server.example.com create_profile_cache
# ssh root@server.example.com "/sbin/init.d/ldapclientd.rc stop"
# ssh root@server.example.com "/sbin/init.d/ldapclientd.rc start"

That's it. If you change your auth add pcred to that as well. The nice thing about pcred is that if you use the same bind account on multiple servers you can use the same compiled pcred file as well. I seem to recall that "restart" didn't work right with the ldapclientd.rc script, but it could have been PEBCAK on my part - I just put both lines in the script early on and never bothered to figure out why it didn't work that once, so YMMV.

Overall I found the LDAP-UX product to be very nice to use, and found that it had great documentation, with the sole exception of the setup utility, which I found to be awkward and somewhat unnecessary (at least for our environment). I think that if the local profile method that I used is documented better and if certain things (like handling of spaces and unusual characters) within the setup program are handled better HP will have a truly excellent product.

Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I had never done any in-depth work with Unix/Linux authentication, LDAP, or Kerberos before I started this project last July. I was tasked with migrating all authentication to AD and I Googled my way through mountains of outdated HOWTOs and misleading information. I do not have any in-depth knowledge of Windows or HP-UX - my expertise is in Linux, IRIX, and some Solaris. I feel I have a very good working knowledge of the technologies, but not a comprehensive understanding.

Coming from this background, I found that it took me a week to figure out how to get this done in Linux, and about a month to fine-tune (mostly because nscd is a piece of crap). By way of comparison, it took me about a month to figure out how to get this done in HP-UX (because of the setup utility and the schema extension), but only a week to fine-tune it. If the local profile option were documented better I think that LDAP-UX would be much easier to set up and deploy than the current solutions in Linux (though if SSSD ships with RHEL6 that might change).

Good luck, feel free to ping me with other questions. I have this thread set up to email me on responses.
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

thanks - I've got tied up with other things at the moment, but your answer certainly helps.

When I get this back to the top of the pile, you may see more questions!

Cheers,
Graham.
Doug G Williams
Advisor

Thanks Jeffrey for the info. I had similar need and found this post. Everything works well following your steps except small twist of LDAP users not being able to su to root. I am pretty sure it is related to pam.conf (likely the su entries) but have not pinned down the fix. Is your pam.conf like the attached? Thanks for info and thanks again for providing solution to ldapux trick.

Doug G Williams
Advisor

Fixed problem by changing to:
su auth sufficient libpam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass

Still a bit confused about when to use /etc/pam.conf krb modules (which will not work for me) rather than the ldap modules (which do work). Our linux admin uses krb modules and did not have to have keytab file, yet I can't get the hp-ux servers to authenticate with krb. I suspect ldapux absolutely requires the host added as AD user and keytab file generated?
Doug G Williams
Advisor

Well, me again. :) My previous email of fix was completely useless. Turns out problem was actually the "su" in my path. Was using /usr/local/bin/su which causes problem. Using /usr/bin/su works correctly.
Jeffrey W Watts
Advisor

Hey Doug, glad to hear that you figured that problem out. Funny how simple things like that can cause problems. :)

I'm assuming that you're connecting to AD, what specific problems are you having using Kerberos? One thing you must make sure you're doing if you're using Kerberos is to make sure you have the KRB5CLIENT package installed - the Kerberos shipping with HP-UX is very out of date.

I found Kerberos to be refreshingly easy to configure, and very reliable to use. If you have the Samba 'net' command installed you can also use it to generate a local keytab, though if you're using AD for DNS as well make sure it doesn't set a DNS expire time in AD.
Doug G Williams
Advisor

Hi Jeffrey. Everything works great on the 4 servers I've configured so far, including 11.23 and 11.31. But I was curious whether in your /etc/pam.conf you use libpam_krb5.so.1? I use libpam_ldap.so.1 since it will not work with the libpam_krb5.so.1 library. A few years back I setup on Solaris servers and used krb5 library module in pam.conf to authenticate and was thinking this should setup the similar way. I can generate a kerberos ticket with kinit and authenticate from command line fine, but will not work authenticating via pam.conf when using krb5.so.1. I am guessing, probably wrongly, it may be the attributemap mappings in my ldapux_profile.ldif likely are not mapped correctly for krb5 attributes to rfc2307 attributes? But in any case, I'm perfectly fine using the ldap library module as everything works great, and deploying to the other servers now with same setup. Was just curious. Again, many thanks for your "pioneering"!! :)