7279 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem when sending mail to non local domains

DRACOX
Occasional Advisor

Problem when sending mail to non local domains

Good morning.

I have several servers HP-UX 11.0 and 11i from those that he/she sends mail with sendmail. When these mail are correspondents inside the local domain everything it works correctly, but when I try to send them to external mail addresses (type hotmail.com) the messages are glued.

I suppose that something should be configured at sendmail level. You could indicate me that I should make.

Thank you.
draco
7 REPLIES 7
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem when sending mail to non local domains

Can you able to resolve hotmail.com from that machine?

ping hotmail.com
nslookup hotmail.com

Dns setting for resolving domain name may be a problem. check with /etc/resolv.conf.

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
DRACOX
Occasional Advisor

Hello.

The teams HP-UX from those that I send the mail they act as mail clients, in the sendmail.cf we have suitable that makes relay to a mail server Lotus. This works correctly for mail inside the same domain:

Aug 31 23:55:49 TPU01 sendmail[15132]: XAA15129: to=xxxxx@xxx.es, ctladdr=root (0/3), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:
00, mailer=relay, relay=xxxxxx.xxxxx.es. [10.216.8.15], stat=Sent (Message accepted for delivery)

However, when the address is external he/she stays in line like we can see in the log:

Oct 4 10:33:40 TPU01 sendmail[9550]: KAA09550: to=xxxxxx@hotmail.com, delay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, stat=queued

Thanks
draco
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

In the server do as,

# nslookup
> hotmail.com

what are you getting. I hope the problem is dns resolvation.

Check these,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=735797
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=940154

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

mailq -v -d

What you use?? smart relay or direct link??
nslookup hotmail.com
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the logs I see this:

Aug 31 23:55:49 TPU01 sendmail[15132]: XAA15129: to=xxxxx@xxx.es, ctladdr=root (0/3), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:
00, mailer=relay, relay=xxxxxx.xxxxx.es. [10.216.8.15], stat=Sent (Message accepted for delivery)

Oct 4 10:33:40 TPU01 sendmail[9550]: KAA09550: to=xxxxxx@hotmail.com, delay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, stat=queued

The message queued does not show the "Relay" host. I think that there is something wrong with the sendmail configuration.

Are you using a smart host?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
DRACOX
Occasional Advisor

Hello to all.

Indeed the problem came associated to not being able to identify via DNS the existence from the domain to which we wanted to send the mail. The problem gets complicated since for political of security of the company the servants Unix they don't have access to an external DNS. To solve the situation what we have made it is to add a reference in the file / etc/hosts to the domain that we want to send the mail, is not necessary that the suitable address is correct, coarse with which the mail service identifies that that domain exists so that he/she sent the mail to the mail servant. This last one if he/she has access to an external DNS for what sends the mail without problems.

Thank you to all.
draco
DRACOX
Occasional Advisor

To solve the situation what we have made it is to add a reference in the file / etc/hosts to the domain that we want to send the mail, is not necessary that the suitable address is correct, coarse with which the mail service identifies that that domain exists so that he/she sent the mail to the mail servant. This last one if he/she has access to an external DNS for what sends the mail without problems.

Thank you to all.
draco