1753944 Members
8780 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with Internal raid of itanium hp-ux os drives

Vball23
Advisor

Problem with Internal raid of itanium hp-ux os drives

My project for the day was to replace the 146gb internal drives on my BL860C with 300gb drives. I made (2) make_net ignite images, shut down the server, replaced the drives, booted up the server from the iLO virtual DVD and then pointed the install to the ignite server. This worked fine, but when the recovery was finished and the server booted up the last time, a lot of the OS was missing. Everything under /home was gone, most of /var and /opt and who knows what else. I reinstalled with the 2nd image with the same results. So, I looked at the flist file in the recovery directory and it did not list much for /var, /home, etc. My exclude list on include /psoft and /ps-sw. I found some information alluding to the fact that by default, ignite seems to want to exclude more than you'd think and to manually include /var, /usr, etc.

So, I put the original 146gb drives back in and attempted to boot and got the following:

Loading.: HP-UX Primary Boot: 0/2/1/0.0.0.0.0
Load of HP-UX Primary Boot: 0/2/1/0.0.0.0.0 failed: Not Found

So, I went into the EFI shell, loaded the raid drivers, activated the original array, which was still present, but the status shows as:

| Status 0% Syncd

So, I went into manage array, and chose to synchronize the array, was told it could take up to 1 min to process and maybe several hours to complete. It immediately comes back, no errors, but it never moves past 0% sync'd. What am I doing wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
Vball23
Advisor

Well, it seems to be sync'ing up now, but very, very slowly.

Will I not be able to boot until it's sync'd up? This seems illogical to me, since the point of raiding or mirroring to drives is so you can still boot and function when one dies.
Vball23
Advisor

Found the problem. My attempt at igniting the 300gb drives put a boot pointer in the EFI information, so when I put the 146gb drives back in, it didn't know where to boot from. I removed the boot entry and created a new one, pointing the HPUX.EFI file on fs0.

Vball23
Advisor

see thread