108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with graphical Login fo NIS users

SOLVED
Go to solution
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Is you password more than 8 chars? If yes enter only first 8 chars. Also does your password has special chars like #@ in it?
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Frau Pia SAURER
Advisor

Hi!

I guess there is a little missunderstnding.

All settings seem to be correct. the password does not have special characters and is not more than 8 characers long.

I can log in via telnet with nis users and local users(those that have an entry in the local passwd file) I can log in via Reflection with local users but NOT with nis users. So it seems that the cde login does not ask the nis Server for user authentication. It only looks in the local /etc/passwd. Now I have to find a way to force the cde login to act like the normal login -> first look in your local /etc/passwd then contact nis server.

So there is no problem with the passwords or with dtlogin process not running or such stuff. dtlogin just does not act like expected. So my question is which steps are made during the dtlogin? which programs are used and where can I configure it. maybe there is a equivalent to nsswitch.conf for dtlogin process? Maybe there has to be another sign then '+' in the /etc/passwd file or mabe its just a bug in HP-UX (I have a HP-UX 11.11 box too and this is working with exactly the same settings)

RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Now you explain. To allow nis users access +username or + (all users shold be there.) But al need to have /etc/nsswitch.conf configured correctly. And this would apply to telnet/ssh/reflection (any login) method.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Frau Pia SAURER
Advisor

yes.

But the problem is that for every non graphic method(telnet,ssh,..) it works fine. For every graphic method (reflection, xwin32) it doesn't work. So I have no Idea why.
Frau Pia SAURER
Advisor

Hi!

I fixed it. I just killed the dtlogin processes and started them again.

thanx for your help
Frau Pia SAURER
Advisor

See previous reply