108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with tar...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Allen Brand
Occasional Advisor

Problems with tar...

So I have large tarballs created of directories on an Alpha ES45 (OSF1 EvalES45.xxxxxx-xx.com V5.1 2650 alpha) -- five tarballs, smallest is ~14G, largest is ~40G. I created the tarballs with the following simple command:

# tar Ecvf / //

I then copied the data to another Alpha (OSF1 vega.xxxxxx-xx.com V5.1 2650 alpha) ES45, and attempted to untar the smallest tarball (~14G) to a SAN mount, eventually trying all switches where the command looked like this:

# tar EBLoixpvvf // .

However, nothing happens. I get this as output:

# tar EBLoixpvvf /san03/data05ALL /san03
blocksize = 256
#

This happens on both machines when I attempt to unarchive the tarball into a directory/sub-directory that is not it's original location. The tarball will extract fine (though it runs out of space) if I do not specify a target folder to unarchive to. As you can see, I have attempted to use every switch imaginable, but so far nothing has worked. Is there a syntax for forcing an archive to restore to subdirectories? What am I missing?
4 REPLIES 4
Allen Brand
Occasional Advisor

Re: Problems with tar...

Sorry for the duplicates, the forum messed me up. I'd delete if I could...admin, could you remove?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try using the "s" option to remove the initial "/". This will cause the tar file to be restored in the current directory, so run:

cd /path/to/san/mount
tar Expvf /path/to/tarfile.tar
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Allen Brand
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much, yes that worked fine. I had tried the 's' switch before, but had specified the folder to write to, so I suppose tar cannot use syntax like that. Very well...anyway, thank you very much.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

You might find it helpful not to use an
absolute path when creating the archive:

( cd / ; tar Ecvf / )

or

( cd / ; tar Ecvf )

(where "" could be some complex path)

This can greatly simplify restorations into
other locations.