New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Support Pack on RHEL 4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Proliant Support Pack on RHEL 4

Hello guys,

We have some new ProLiant BL20p (G3) blades and we installed RHEL 4, configured the HBA's and everything is almost ready to proceed with the Oracle installation.

My question is regarding the Proliant Support Pack from HP. Why do I need it? What is the benefit of having it? I read the documentation and it seems you can installa a bunch of stuff (SNMP tools etc) that I may not need. Is there any whitepaper on this? Do you use it?

Thanks,
Jorge
4 REPLIES 4
Adithyan
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Jorge,

PSP is nothing but a bunch of software/Module updates what HP provides for Windows and Linux OS. As per HP to support with the HP hardware, the OS should have PSP.

In PSP certain driver modules are also included which will replace Redhat provided drivers. for eg NIC modules. Incase if you have some trouble with your NIC driver and you want to get the original one back the only way you have is a kernel upgrade.

You can go through the PSP doc, In the PSP 7.8 I think the NIC modules etc are excluded.

Thanks
Adithyan.
Keen to learn HP UX
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Jorge,

I don't know if this is an official line, however I recall logging a call with HP regarding a problem with a ProLiant running RHEL 3. Front line support told me that they wouldn't support the system unless it had the PSP installed...

Cheers,

Rob
DanAm

>Incase if you have some trouble with your NIC >driver and you want to get the original one >back the only way you have is a kernel >upgrade.
AFAIK, if you uninstall the rpm in question, the original driver gets reinstalled. 100 % sure in case of SAN Drivers and probably the same for NICS.
HTH
Dan
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thanks.