New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pseudo Terminal Session Number/Name Options

SOLVED
Go to solution
garethh_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Clay,

I ran the scripts, and they ran fine. I uncommented out the rm and mknod parts. Ran on the console, all appeared to run fine.

After it was done the contents of /dev/pts was as expected. All looked good.

However, when I telnet into the Server I get:

telnetd: /dev/pts/ta: No such file or directory

I have bounced the Server.

I can back it out, I've just be establishing and breaking a mirror each time. So, I have an easy back out.

Do you have any idea what else needs to be changed?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Without know the internals of the newer pty/ptm driver, it's nothing more than a guess --- which is why I warned you to back everything up before doing this. You actually could have created a slighty modified version of the second script to restore things as they were.

It's time to fix the problem rather than trying to fix the symptoms; fix that stupid COBOL ---- and this was a state-of-the-art stupid method of generating temporary file names.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
garethh_1
Occasional Advisor

Well thanks for responding Clay, I appreciate it.

It's just not realistic to change all the reports in the next 1.5 weeks, which is when we were needing to go live. There are 100's of them. Programmers, sys admins all inherited this mess, sadly.

There seems to be the same amount of special files in /dev as there are in /dev/pts. Could the same name change need to take place there too?

We're running 11.11.

Thanks again for your help.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Could the same name change need to take place there too?

You could try but I think the kernel is just keeping track of the free device by a number then it translates that into the character string. And you by removing those devices, get that missing /dev/pts/ta for 10.

>JRF: typeset TMPDIR=${TMPDIR:=/var/tmp}/...

Any reason you use typeset? You want these to be local to a function?
Also, the correct syntax is ":-", not ":=". When you use ":=", you typically use it as:
$ YY=${XX:=abc} # set two variables
$ : $(XX:=abc} # only set XX
With ":-", you don't have to worry about setting TMPDIR twice. ;-)