108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Query on VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
raiden
Regular Advisor

Query on VM

Guys i got this question from another post which was left unanswered. Now even i have the same query . The post question was as follows

We have already implemented HP IVM in rx6600 server(VM-HOST OS: HP-UX V3 VSE).I have a query on vCPU. The query is, say we have "12" core physical CPU.I have assigned 8 vCPU into VM machine "server1" & "server2" with 40% entitlement. So the summation of Entitlement=(40+40)=80% & this 80% entitlement comes from 8 core Physical server. Now i want to create VM machine "server3" & server4" with 5 vCPU
& 30% Entitlement for each VM machine ("server3" & "server4") . Can i able to do
this ? If Yes then can you give me the breakdown of the CPU distrubtion , If not
also please give the reason in detail?

Now My question

I think in this case we can create a server 3 and server 4 vm with 5vcpu but if server 1 and server 2 are already running then the server 3 and server 4 Vm will not start.

Because My understanding is that if server 1 and server 2 are already running and server 3 and 4 are started , then the later will get 30% entitlement each from leftover 4 cores , but for 5th vcpu it will not get the 30% as already 80% entitlement has been used by server 1 and 2 from the other 8 cores.

So i think server 3 and 4 VM's will not start. Please clarify whether my understanding is correct or please correct it.
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Query on VM

See my comment on the same thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Virtualization/Query-on-vCPU-distribution/m-p/4639703#M2202

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
raiden
Regular Advisor

Hello Torsten,

Appreciate your answer but Still I am confused over this question. I dont want answer in term of rx6600.

I just want a clarification on the above mentioned situation . (for now consider it to be any server) So please answer in terms of the above query .

I just want to know whether in the above situation i can create a 30% entitlement server 3 and server 4 VM and if i can create whether they will boot when server 1 and server 2 vm are already running.

Because the only question that bothers me is from where the server 3 nd 4 will get the 30% entitlement for 5th vcpu if 80% is already been used by the server 1 and 2 vm from the 8 cores.
raiden
Regular Advisor

I hope my question is not confusing you people . If it is please let me know . I will try my best to simplify it.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IIRC you never entitle "per core". The host has 100% to give with all of the CPUs, all the guests have to share the 100%. Start with a low entitlement, if needed, set a maximum. If a guest needs more power and there is more power available, the guest gets more power.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The problem with the calculation in the initial post is, there not 12, but only 8 physical cores in this type of server (maximum). So any calculation based on 12 cores must be wrong.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Finally, if you go back to the other thread (see link above) you'll find a calculation. The problem is, the result is wrong if you calculate with more cores than you have - there is nothing available while you think it is.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

A one processor system can create many VMs and run multiple VMs concurrently with VCPU.

A 4 processor system can create many VMs and run them concurrently with Vms with 1,2,3 or 4 CPUs
Create a VM with 4 VCPUs
Create a VM with 3 VCPUs
Create a VM with 1 VCPU
and I can run them concurrently if I have enough memory with only 4 real CPUs. I define a real cpu as one that top sees. WIth dual and quad core systems a cpu is a core. (not hyperthreading)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Emil, the question is about the entitlement values.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

likid0
Honored Contributor
Solution

raiden you are write, the 5th virtual cpu only has 20% free, and needs 30% free to startup:

1rst example:

4 core Host
2 VM's with 4 vcpus each:

VM1 with 90% entitlement and running
VM2 with 10% entitlement

VM2 starts ok.

2nd example:

4 vore Host
VM1 with 4vcpus
VM2 with 1vcpus

VM1 with 90% entitlement and running
VM2 with 15% entitlement

VM2 won't start, because none of the cpus have 15% free.

That's why you don't have to use big entitlements, always assign small values and if you need, set the maximum.
Windows?, no thanks