Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAC witth ASM problem

Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

RAC witth ASM problem

Dear All

i have a very Urgant case ( it is our Billing servers ) ;we have two SLES SP1 servers with oracle RAC; oracle use ASM devices , yesterday DBA's try to add a third DB server to the current 2 in the RAC , we get 5 of the ASM devices not appered , so the RAC could not be started , we remove the third RAC node we do something that we recreat the ASM names on the
fadia.marei
3 REPLIES
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

Re: RAC witth ASM problem

Dear All

is my case not clear or no one could answer my questions ?
fadia.marei
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

it's not clear at all, also this is not an official support channel. answers given here are from fellow admins around the world.

if you really need urgent support, you might want to contact the vendor(s), most probably Oracle.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Fadia - Sala'm!

If you could give us the details on the following - I think you could be sufficiently adviced:

- multipathing software
- what kind of storage array
- how are you naming your ASM "disks"

Most often, ASM issues stem from faulty UDEV rules (if you use them) or disk presentation issues.

The "recipe" that I always follow to avoid problems and maintain consistent "disk names" is to ensure your disk names are maintained accross your nodes. This can be easily achieved by using device mapper's WWID alias feaure. If you use HP Device Mapper Multipath - (which you should really do) - then whatevr HP Storage Works SAN Arrays you use are compatible with the provided multipath.conf that is installed.

Let us know - and we'll gladly put in our few cents on your issues.

Hakuna Matata.