108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID ADG failure

rianui
Trusted Contributor

RAID ADG failure

Hello gurus,

I have a HP rp3440 running UX11.11
The system is connected to a disk array enclosure with 72GB SCSI disks. The server and the disk array are connected through a SCSI cable. The server uses a HP PCI-X SmartArray 6402 card.
The Power supply unit on the disk array went down a few days ago and so the client shut the whole system down (clean he says) so as to read the part number. Now after bringing up the system, the volumes on the disk array won't mount because the server no longer 'sees' the disk array.
I have attached a document with some more info.

Thanks,

Rianui
5 REPLIES 5
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

the SAUTIL says that the RAID in the ADG Mode with one spare has failed.

also it is showing everything as the part of the RAID Controller card SA6402 to be OK like the cache battery and the FE version are Functional except one FAN that has failed in the Enclosure

Shall suggest you to soon log a CASE with HP very immediately.

I am a bit doubtful about if there had been a spare disk and that one disk had failed why the rebiuld not start.

also about the setting that mark at start missing disk as FAILED.

regards
sujit
rianui
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sujit,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
There was a hot spare configured and I wondered myself why it didn't begin the rebuild immediately. The failed fan must be for one of the power supplies...the reason why the sys admin shut down the server in the first place.
For now, the volume that was not coming up has done so. I got this doc from ITRC http://docs.hp.com/en/J6369-90036/ch04s02.html
and managed to bring the volume up. All disks file systems are now mounted.
Thank you for taking time to reply Sujit.

Regards,

Rianui
rianui
Trusted Contributor

I managed to bring the RAID array back online.

Thank you all.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Rianui,

this will be very good and sometimes if someone faces a sililar problem and he seraches ITRC for the similar threads he shall be able to get a solution.

so, can you please share what actually you did , or what command helped you restart the rebuild and get the Data Volume back?

that will be a great help using this thread for the future references.

anyway please go ahead and log a case with HP for this FAN Failure to be analysed.

thanks
sujit
rianui
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sujit,

In that document there are steps for replacing a bad disk with a new one. When I did this, I got the following message:

# CISS: RAID SA controller on hardware path 0/4/1/0/4/0 has detected a logical
drive status change:
Logical drive 0 transitioned from RECOVERING to OK
Drive type: RAID ADG - Advanced Data Guarding

Also, I had run this command while in single user mode after replacing the disk:

# sautil /dev/ciss8 accept_media_xchg 7

but it had given me an error. When I transitioned the system to run level 3 however, the file systems had mounted properly. I guess this happened after replacing the old disk with a new/working one.

Cheers,

Rianui