New Discussion юеВ

REG the network

SOLVED
Go to solution
bchinnat
Frequent Advisor

REG the network

Hi,

I tried to add the one default gateway by the command route add. It throws error like network unreachable even it is pinging.... So we tried like removed the existing entry in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file and we added the new gateway ip like
ROUTE_DESTINATION[0]="default"
ROUTE_MASK[0]=""
ROUTE_GATEWAY[0]="xx.xx.xxx.xx"
ROUTE_COUNT[0]="1"
ROUTE_ARGS[0]=""

then we tried adding the gateway, i was added. so the question here is like while booting only it will refer this file to setup the routing table right? Is this file will be referred even when we adding the routes? can you please explain what exactly this file does?

thanks in advance...
5 REPLIES 5
smatador
Honored Contributor

Re: REG the network

Hi,
the netconf file is the source for /sbin/init.d/net startup script which is executed at boot time when the system enters in run level 2.
But you could run manually the net script to activate the entries of the netconf file
Hope it helps
Nido
Trusted Contributor

Hello Bala,

Add routing entries in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and to apply the settings without rebooting the host; run the script /sbin/init.d/net start

Check the setting with: netstat -rn

Don't leave backup copy of any configuration file under /etc/rc.config.d/ as all the configuration files are referred when scripts under /sbin/init.d/ run.

Cheers!!
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>.then we tried adding the gateway, i was added. so the question here is like while booting only it will refer this file to setup the routing table right?<<

Yes, You are right, not only your routing table "hostname" & "ip address" of the server. for more information you can do

# man netconf

or refer to below links

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90796/ix01.html

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
johnsonpk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bala,

The routing entires in the netconf file is used by the system during system startup or while executing /sbin/init.d/net command with start argument. These routing information will be static (ie persistent across system reboots)

The route add command will add routes to the system but it will be dynamic and need to add them to netconf file in order to make them static.

Thanks!!
Johnson
bchinnat
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all your Answer..... Good forum and faster replies.. I appriciate your effort on this....