New Discussion юеВ

Re: RHEL 5.3 upgrade -> Found duplicate PV

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Matthias,

Ignore the steps in my previous post. It is not an easy procedure.

Looks like the right path to update your configuration is;

1. Migrate RHEL 5.1 Qlogic failover to HP DM 4.0.0

2. Update OS to RHEL 5.3

3. Update Device Mapper to 4.2.0 or later

I am trying to find if there is way to do it after OS upgrade. I will post the steps as soon as i find out.

-Thank You
Bharath
Matthias Kretschmer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Bharath,
I will try this now.
You do not need to figure out the way after the upgrade. I still have a disk mirror of my system before the upgrade.
I re-mirror now to 5.1 and try your steps.

Greetings,
Matthias
Matthias Kretschmer
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bharath,
I tried to follow your steps.
I installed HP DM 4.0.0 on RHEL 5.1, which asked me for uninstalling device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-23.el5. The script uninstalled that version.

Than I tried to upgrade to 5.3 and I got the following errors:

Transaction Check Error: file /etc/multipath.conf from install of device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-23.el5 conflicts with file from package HPDMmultipath-tools-4.0.0-RHEL5.1

And a lot more transaction errors, all about device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-23.el5 and HPDMmultipath-tools-4.0.0-RHEL5.1

Do not know how to proceed. :(

Greetings,
Matthias
loco_vikide
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Found duplicate PV messages is not a RHEL 5.3 per se. I have encountered these messages in RHEL 4.x and RHEL 5.2. Eveytime, my issues were related to LVM filter.

Your issue could be related to filter entries in your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file. You have to find the correct syntax to fits your storage environment.

Example of using PowerPath pseudo devices and ignoring /dev/sd* pseudo device names:
filter = [ "a|mpath/.*|", "a|cciss/.*|", "a|emcpower.*|", "a|^/dev/hd|", "r/sd.*/", "r|.*|" ]

Cheers,
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Matthias,

Did you use the migration Kit?

-Thank You
Bharath
Matthias Kretschmer
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I used:
Device Mapper Multipath Enablement Kit for HP StorageWorks Disk Arrays v4.0.0 (28 Feb 2008) HPDMmultipath-4.0.0.tar.gz
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3559651&swItem=co-58129-1&mode=4&idx=1

and after the upgrade

Device Mapper Multipath Enablement Kit for HP StorageWorks Disk Arrays v4.2.0 (2 Mar 2009) HPDMmultipath-4.2.0.tar.gz
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=co-68651-1&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3559651

In the future i tried to use HPDMmigration-1.2.tar.gz, but then I ended up in the problems above:
(see post Jul 15, 2009 06:43:51 GMT )

I am really confused about all that versions of Enablement Kits and Migration Kits. I do not know what I have to use.
Could you please post exact names of the tar.gz files I need. Otherwise I do not really not what to use.
Thank you very much.

I am out of office for the next two weeks, but I will get back to here definitely.

Thank you all for the moment.

Greetings,
Matthias