System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL 5.4 on Proliant DL380 G3 (3.2Ghz CPU 1MB l3 Cache)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

RHEL 5.4 on Proliant DL380 G3 (3.2Ghz CPU 1MB l3 Cache)

I know it is an "old" box - but has anyone been successful in intstalling RHEL 5.X on said box? And is the CPU 64bit capable? This is a hand me down and the group that gave me this box could not say if its a 64bit Xeon CPU in there.

I have a hunch is probably just 32bit though.

TIA.
Hakuna Matata.
1 REPLY
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: RHEL 5.4 on Proliant DL380 G3 (3.2Ghz CPU 1MB l3 Cache)

According to HP QuickSpecs DL380 G3 server design was retired in the end of January 2005.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11473_div/11473_div.HTML
(see the very end of the document)

Though the earliest 64-bit Xeons were introduced in 2004, the first multi-processor capable 64-bit Xeon was the codename Cranford, introduced in April 2005. As the DL380 G3 can have two processors, it needs a MP-capable model.

In other words, I'm pretty certain it's 32-bit only. I would not expect any problems in installing a 32-bit RHEL 5.x on it.

(The 64-bit capability actually was one of the main selling points of the DL380 G4.)

We recently installed a Debian 5.0 on a DL380 G2. No problems in the installation. It's currently monitoring a group of servers with Cacti and Nagios - having just one slow CPU hurts it a bit when it needs to collect data and dynamically render graphs for web GUI simultaneously, but on the whole it works surprisingly well.

MK
MK