6266 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RHEL 6 cannot access more then 2 TB HP d220sb storage

Hassan_FL
Occasional Advisor

RHEL 6 cannot access more then 2 TB HP d220sb storage

Hi,

We have a blade storage d220sb storage we cannot access the storage from attached server OS RHEL 6. we can see the storage from graphically from DISK utility. when we put the command  "fdisk -l" then system is hang. Please suggest.

Thanks

Hassan

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The "fdisk" command uses & creates DOS-style partition tables, which cannot handle more than 2 TB. This is a design issue: the partition table format was designed in the 1980s, was already extended beyond the original design by LBA, and is now hitting its ultimate design limit.

If you want to use partitions on disks larger than 2 TB, you should be using parted (or gparted, its GUI version) instead. It can create GPT-style partition tables, which don't have such limits. Alternatively, you might completely skip partitions and use LVM instead.

But if the system hangs when you try to access the storage, something is seriously wrong. Is there any error messages in the syslog (the log files are in directory /var/log)?

MK
Hassan_FL
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have checked with using "parted" also. But it got hang also. i will check syslog and get back to you.

Thanks

Hassan_FL
Occasional Advisor

[root@blilm03 ~]# lsscsi

[0:0:0:0]    disk    HP       LOGICAL VOLUME   5.14  /dev/sda ====>> DAS Disk

[0:0:0:1]    disk    HP       LOGICAL VOLUME   5.14  /dev/sdb ====>> DAS Disk

[0:3:0:0]    storage HP       P410i            5.14  -

[1:0:0:0]    disk    HP       LOGICAL VOLUME   5.14  /dev/sdc  ===>> Internal OS Disk

[1:3:0:0]    storage HP       P410i            5.14  -

Please check the syslog attached here