6065 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RHEL AS 4 - Problems with HP Proliant Support Pack

ALeXX
Occasional Advisor

RHEL AS 4 - Problems with HP Proliant Support Pack

Hi, everybody!

I have server HP ProLiant DL580 and installed Red Hat Enterpirse Linux AS 4 (Update 4). I need to install Proliant Support Pack for Linux (incluse HP SIM, Insight Diagnostics, Homepage and other tools).

I have the latest version of HP SmartStart CD (version 7.91), but when i'm installing PSP, the error message is appear on the screen: "The operation system is unsupported..."

Does anybody knows how to decide my problem?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :)
11 REPLIES 11
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Hello!

What generation of DL580 do you have? The most current is DL580 G5. A very old (first generation) DL580 should use PSP 7.70 which is sutable for RHEL3 and previos, not RHEL4

PSP 7.91 definitely supports both 32bit (i686) and 64bit (x86_64) RHEL4 upto Update 5

WBR, Ivan Kuznetsov
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Alexx,
The main reason why you will get an unsupported OS message is because the contents of the /etc/redhat-release file do not match what the PSP expects. Please verify the file contains something like the following:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 ...

The main points that the PSP checks are the first four fields must match "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" and field 7 must be the version "4". If these don't match, you'll get the failure you reported. Fields are separated by spaces.

Regards,
Michael Garner
HP Linux PSP Developer
ALeXX
Occasional Advisor

Thank's everybody for the answers!

But I'm still have the unsolved problem!

My server DL580 has generation G4, but I don't think that it is the problem with hardware. The main reason is the version of my operation system. It is not the simple RHEL4(it is supported by SmartStart 7.91), it is RHEL AS 4. These two letters (AS) is my "head problem". PSP is supporting RHEL 3,4,5, but it is not intended for RHEL AS!!!

I can't install the other version of OS because my organization has the contract exactly for this version.

But they whant's that I install the diagnostic tools (PSP...)!

Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Hello!

"AS" means "Anvanced Server", a variant of RHEL4 license. It does not matter with your problem. PSP 7.91 supports any license variant of RHEL4 (upto update 5) without a difference.

Michael writes true. Please verify the contents of /etc/redhat-release. E.g.

[kia@dual ~] cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

Another problem can be a non-standard linux kernel if you installed an intermediate kernel update or built a vanilla-sort kernel yourself. But the PSP's message should be different in this case.

You can verify your kernel version using 'uname -a'. Sould be 2.6.9-42 for RHEL4.4

Regards, Ivan Kuznetsov
ALeXX
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for help!

I had trying the many variants of content of file of /etc/redhat-release. I had the wrong content (it was "Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux AS4.."), and i corrected it for "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (Update 4)".

And now I have the another problem with this PSP. When I run the script ./install791.sh , the such window is appear on the screen "Linux PSP installation in progress" and the message
"Please wait while component xml files are parsed" and this message is stand still on the screen for a very long time, and no other installation is not running!!! ???

When I run this script with -y option, such messages is appearing:
"The installation of the file PSP will use the ./bp000318.xml bundle file.
The PSP for RHEL 4 v. 7.80 installation is now in progress. "
And nothing else, this message is still stand on the screen. !!!

Somebody tell me, what the reason of this?
ALeXX
Occasional Advisor

And one more problem.

I have the storage MSA1000, that connected to DL580G3 server by fibre-channel.

I install the Insight Diagnostics tool for RHEL from rpm-package. It works, but the external storage cannot be find by this tool. But this disks are present in the Hardware Browser. And I can see this disks with ACU utility.

Are this tools using the other drivers? Can it be the other reason of such problem?
weisstik
Advisor

Hello,

i had the same problem a few years ago. I don't know if it is exactly the same problem as I had but the PSP on the smart start cd doesn't support linux. Therefore you have to download the PSP from the HP website. You can find the PSP here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3562405&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3454575&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2026#78221

The PSP supports every version of RHEL 4 (ES and AS).

Cheers
ALeXX
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, weisstik!

I have the latest version of PSP, and I have found the way to run the installation. It is starting without errors, but it not complete. I can't see the process of installation and it is not finished.

I have posted about this problem at February, 5.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi AleXX,

1. Do you want to try switching off / disconnecting your external storage device during the PSP installation?

2. Do you want to try installing the PSP using a GUI (provided you are running RHEL in GUI)?