9651 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re: Help required for Tru64 Unix Alpha

Sameer Patel
Occasional Advisor

Re: Help required for Tru64 Unix Alpha

Hello,

1. Today, we could not ping to our COMPAQ ALPHA SERVER (TRU64 UNIX 5.1B with ORACLE 9.2.0.4) and the message when seen in mail was:
EVM daemon: High event activity exceeds $count in $period minutes.
We had changed earlier the parameter event from 500 to 750 in evmdaemon.conf. There are no messages in /var/adm/messages. The ORACLE was also running fine.
2. Also, in the evmdaemon.log files, we found the following:
socket binding failed, errno-49.
could not open remote accept socket.
3. The evmshow command gave following:
smsd: starting to log...
failed to vol_check().
successfully bound to port 596.
ready for client connections.
cannot set parent conenction. object does not exist.
cannot register service:rpc:unable to send; errno=no buffer space available.

Request your help.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejas.
5 REPLIES 5
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

1. check the event information itself (evmshow) be sure what kind of event will be repeated so often. See also http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=488671

2. seems a socket can not be initialized or all sockets are used (netstat command)

3. vol_checks indicates a vold problem (lsm).
Please check your setup
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Sameer Patel
Occasional Advisor

Dear Ralf,

Can you kindly elaborate on points 2 & 3. I have also increased threshold from 750 to 1000 in /etc/evmdaemon.conf. Will that solve my problem of point no. 1?

Regards,
Trupti.

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

No why should this solve a problem? You only change the event-highwatermark intervall nothing else!

Please check what kind of event leads to the messages...

Regarding 2&3: use the given command and check lsm configuration as described within the lsm troubleshooting section of the manual. Maybe problem 3 is a follow on problem of 2.
Sameer Patel
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Today, suddenly at 3:45 pm, we could not ping or telnet to the server. Oracle on the server was up. Infact, login from the console was also disallowed. It gave the following message:

The DT messaging system could not be started.
To correct the problem:
1. Choos ok to retunr to the login screen.
2. Select Failsafe Session from the login screen's option menu & login.
3. Check to see that your hostname exists correctly in /etc/hosts if your network has already been configured.
4. If your network has not yet been configured, make sure that /etc/hosts has the following entry in it:
127.0.0.1 localhost.
For additional information, see the CDE user's guide.

When I check through ifconfig -a, I get both the ee0 and ee1 interfaces up. When I ping localhost, I get the following:
ping:sendto: No buffer space available.
ping:wrote:192.168.2.203 chars, ret=-1.

I am attaching herewith the /etc/hosts file and also the events occured.

Request your help URGENTLY.

Thanks & Regards,
Trupti.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

maybe time to think about professional service. a cde problem is typically if network will not work, so don't care about it.

As I can see from the given event output there are lot of errors and cluster seems to be setup a little bit "funny".

Machine reported advfs errors, too much open files and maybe socket problems. Not a good starter for a machine, so be sure there is no port scanning or defective hardware in the network. Btw. a netstat -i will be a starter to analyze such problems, but as I've written before please open a call within the HP support center to get professional help for all of your problems!