1753435 Members
4533 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ready for rebuild

Dave Henning

Ready for rebuild

We replaced a bad drive that is part of a raid 5 array on a DL380 G4 and now we are getting "ready for rebuild". Is there a way to manually start the rebuild? We are running Linux AS 3, Smart Array 6i Firmware Version 2.36. I am new to this software so I am looking for some direction.

Thanks.

-Dave
8 REPLIES 8
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

where are u seeing this "Ready for rebuild" meeage?

You may have the RAID application CD (to boot)through which you should be able to manage it. Hope that server is not an online server can be brought down for this purpose.
Michael Paesold

I have the same problem here. I see this messages in hpacucli.

=> ctrl slot=0 ld all show

Smart Array 6i in Slot 0
array A (Failed)
logicaldrive 1 (546.9 GB, RAID 5, Ready for Rebuild)

I don't know how to start rebuild, though.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Install HP ACU (Array Configuration Utility), to manage your server RAID configuration.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Michael J. Paesold

This is RHEL 4, btw. I did install System Management Homepage, HP Array Configuration Utility, HP Array Diagnostic Utility, HP Insight Diagnostics etc.

Yeah, all those tools tell me that the array is degraded, an online spare is available, but the controller is waiting for rebuild. Doesn't help much. Nobody here had a solution?

I am going to open a support request anyway and post any found solution here.

Perhaps just rebooting would help, but I don't want to do that just yet.

Michael Paesold
Dave Henning

In order to resolve our issue we upgraded the firmware. A reboot may have fixed the problem but either way we were bringing the server down so we did the upgrade.

-Dave
Michael J. Paesold

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply! Did you only upgrade the Smart Array Firmware? Or did you have to update disk firmware etc., too?
Michael
Dave Henning

First time we had ever done this, but we burnt
the CD and it upgraded everything that needed to be upgraded.
Michael J. Paesold

Just to let you know about the conclusion of our story: after analyzing our ADU (array diagnostics utility) data, HP support told us that additionally to the failed disk, we had another failing disk in our array, so the rebuild failed because of read errors on that disk.

Bad end of the story: we had to rebuild the server from scratch. At least the disk worked so long for us as to migrate the services to another one with nearly no downtime (in contrast to restoring 250GB data from backup).