New Discussion юеВ

Rebuilding of lvmtab file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Davis_1
Frequent Advisor

Rebuilding of lvmtab file

Hi all.
I have an HP-9000(N-class) w/11.00 and am hanging an EMC array off of it. Basically, if I do a 'strings /etc/lvmtab' it will report to me that I have a vg01 w/2 devices associated with it. These devices are c5t1d0 and c6t1d0. In reality, I have no vg01 or either of these disks any more.? And I keep getting some minor error messages as follows: vgdisplay -v /dev/vg01
vgdisplay: Volume group not activated.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "/dev/vg01".
# pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c5t1d0
pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c5t1d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to this volume group
pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c6t0d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to this volume group
pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.
pvdisplay: Couldn't retrieve the names of the physical volumes belonging to volume group "/dev/vg01".
pvdisplay: Cannot display physical volume "/dev/dsk/c5t1d0".

Is my understanding correct in that I can remove the /etc/lvmtab and have it rebuilt automatically?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP-UX > sysadmin. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: Rebuilding of lvmtab file

I would quickly try this and see what happens ..

# cd /etc
# cp lvmtab lvmtab.org
# rm lvmtab
# vgscan -v

Vgscan should be able to rebuild lvmtab file if nothing else is causing the problem.

BTW you should post this under "HP-UX->LVM", there are a lot of LVM pros that could give you more elaborate answers.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jeff,

Insted of rebuilding /etc/lvmtab, you can do a vgexport /dev/vg01 to remove all entries of /dev/vg01 from your system. As per your post it seems you don't have any /dev/vg01, so go ahead and do a "vgexport /dev/vg01". This is better than trying an reuild lvmtab.

hope this helps.

Regds
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I agree with sanjay.

The /etc/lvmtab creation via vgscan will recreate the lvmtab in numberical order of pvdisks located

ie c0t1d0 will be found before c1t2d1

etc..
This is not a problem if you don't have pri/alternate (pvlink) links with lvm for ha on a disk array.

The vgscan will end up loading a controller on a disk array because of the way it'll recreate the lvmtab.

You might want to use vgreduce and vgextend to reorganise it the way you want after the recreation.

If you don't follow, reply!

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)