108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reconnecting to a disconnected telnet sessions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Mizuo
Occasional Contributor

Reconnecting to a disconnected telnet sessions

Is there a way to reconnect to a disconnected telnet session assuming the process and all children are ignoring the HUP signal?

This is possible on an old Data General AOS/VS server that has a terminal controller which assigns each telnet connection a unique IP.

I am looking for a way to do this in HPUX.
4 REPLIES 4
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I don't know of any, usually this would be solved using the GNU screen utility, which is very good with all terminal management issues.

Please look at the documentation at
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen/

if this suits Your needs, You can download it from http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/screen-4.0.2/ (no dependencies, regular sd depot)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor
Solution

Allow me to step up to an old soapbox of mine.

If you're serious about this capability, you should look into Citrix Metaframe for Unix. It does all that you have asked about, and a lot more. You can publish dtterm, or use the default CDE desktop. Among its other many features, it allows a user to reconnect to a terminated session.

It installs easy, its a cinch to maintain. And they offer a free demo for 99 users and 120 days. A 3 user license is less than $2000USD (street price) but it can share licenses with other Citrix products on your LAN.

On the desktop, you can use Citrix's client, or on the back end install their NFUSE product, which will let you use a browser as the desktop client. In either case, it doesn't use much client resources. Its secure and is very efficient with user bandwidth.

It is BADLY marketed. It'll be hard to find an organization to sell it to you. But you can call their main sales number and they'll overnight the demo disk to you.

Chris
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Chris - this sounds like what SCO Tarantella promised - nice to hear about this!
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Tom Mizuo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to Florian and Chris for the quick response.