New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recovering deleted files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Recovering deleted files

Hi,

Will HP Unix have feature to recover deleted files with rm command in any future version of HP-UX ?

Thanks,
Shiv
4 REPLIES 4
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Once you delete a file in hpux it's really gone, there is no recycle bin in unix.

at least not in 10.20.11.00, 11.11 and 11.23.
Not sure in 11.31 since I haven't used it yet.

If you dont have a backup to restore the deleted file your pretty much toast.
Knowledge is power.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Shiv:

I wouldn't expect to see this. The UNIX philosophy is "do-what-I-say" without confirmation. The expectation is that you know what you want to do.

UNIX only asks that you *think* a bit before you act. I don't need nor want some moronic operating system forcing me to "empty-the-trash" to clean up my disk. If I remove something, I don't want to remove it again, by way of saying "Yes, I really mean it!".

If you insist, you could implement your own "recycle bin". You would create a script that moves (renames) any file to be deleted. You would invoke this action by 'alias'ing the 'rm' command in your login '.profile'. Thus, a 'rm ' would really execute your script which would rename ('mv') the file to some name in an archive directory.

Regards!

...JRF...
Prasanth Thomas
Valued Contributor

Hi Shiv,
HP-UX doesn't have feature to recover the deleted files. But if you have setup the backup then you can recover it easily. But remember the deleted directory/file should be included in the backup. HP normally use HP Data Protector.

Regards,
Prasanth Thomas.
madhuchakkaravarthy
Trusted Contributor

Hi

if u have DP ,, u can recover from the backup.

otherwise no chances.

i have lot of experience in deleting important files and what to do relax and have a cup of coffee and restore from backup..

always take a cpoy of file that to be edited.