New Discussion юеВ

Re: Redhat Linux server boot erro "operating System not found"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary L
Super Advisor

Redhat Linux server boot erro "operating System not found"

Hi

There is a Linux server of our company ES release 3 update 4. This morning system down and I reset it. But system boot erro: operating system not found.
I used CD1 boot it again and go into rescue mode via "linux rescue". I did "chroot /mnt/sysimage" at comand prompt line. I found some stranging things when I did "vgdisplay -v". Past /dev/sda (LVM disk) changed to /dev/sdb. /dev/sda3 (PV) changed to /dev/sdb3. /dev/sdb1 (Non-LVM disk) changed to /dev/sdc1.
How can i recovery it?
I have been researching the Linux OS image backup, so I didn't do any OS image backup. Just has this server's /etc /dev and /root tape backup.
Any answers will be very appreciate!
6 REPLIES 6
Gary L
Super Advisor

I have solved the problems.
I remove a new adding disk and reboot the server.
It recovery.
Justin_99
Valued Contributor
Solution

The a/b dev change might be just due to rescue mode. The operating system not found error. Only time I have seen this was on mirrored disks and grub was not installed on both disks. Once I ran grub and put it on sda1 and sdb1 in my case, all was well. Might want to start there. Sorry I don't have any more information.
Gary L
Super Advisor

request clost this thread
Gary L
Super Advisor

Thanks Justin

Yes, you are correct. the new additon disk became /dev/sda, The new disk no any kernla and OS, no grub, no /boot, I have no idea what happend. I just wanna add a new disk into this server via vmware.

thank you very much for your help
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

Haven't used vmware much, but there may be an option for persistant binding a lun so it always stays the same. Another option might be to put a label on the filesystem and boot via the label so it shouldn't matter if the device became sdb.
Gary L
Super Advisor

Thanks Justin.

Have a great day.