108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reduce all filesystem from vg00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Reduce all filesystem from vg00

Hi guys, I have a rx2620 running HPUX 11.23 and I want to reduce all the OS filesystem (/, /var/, /stand, /home/, /opt, /tmp/, swap) because some people left too much space allocated and there's no more room in vg00. I would like some help on this. The VG is configured in RAID 1.
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Carlos:

Probably the simplest approach is to create an Ignite recovery tape. Boot from the tape and choose an Advanced Installation. THis will allow you to choose the Filesystems menu to size your logical volumes according to your needs.

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...will create a tape for you comprising all of vg00.

It will be virtually impossible to resize '/' and primary swap otherwise.

Regards!

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Carlos:

By the way, disk is cheap. Don't resize your vg00 filesystems merely to gain unallocated space in vg00. The root volume group should hold only the standard HP-UX filesystems. Adding application-oriented logical volumes to vg00 because you have free space makes upgrades and recovery scenarios far more difficult than they need to be.

Regards!

...JRF...
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Thanks a lot James. I'll try that out. I want to resize all vg00 filesystems because they were defined with a lot of space, and actually application data is in another different disk.
Samir Pujara_1
Frequent Advisor

Carlos,

Make ignite recovery tape with full vg00. Also for safety it is better to have a full backup of VG00 to prevent any data loss.

Then boot your system using the ignite recovery tape and using advance installation option you can create each volume as per your need.

Samir
KUMAR_13
Advisor

Hello,
First Take one ignite backup..
And reboot wid that ignite tape...
& try to resize all Filesystem with Option