3420 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reg CDE logs off automatically

hareesh
Advisor

Reg CDE logs off automatically

Hi,
this is reg a a problem related to X logs off automatically if the system is running for some days without any reboot.In this regad my collegue had posted one qury and "Ralf Puchner "has answerd the query also pls find the same below

Question:

Mar 17, 2004 05:29:35 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi
We are having a alph XP1000 workstation with powerstorm 300 graphics card, running with tru64 version 5.1. We are using these workstations for graphical applications.
The problem we are facing is these workstation will terminate the Xsession automatically after 50 day of continuous use.
The errors logged in /var/dt/Xerrors will be as follows. And this problem is there from the starting. As per my observation this problem occurs between 49 to 118 days duratins. Please help me to solve this problem.

regard..
gp..

"Out of memory"
"failed to allocate stipple bitmap"
terminating the Xsession.

This problem is not coming in the systems which is not working on graphical applications.
We have serched for the patch for this problem but for no avail.

Reply:

Ralf Puchner Mar 17, 2004 08:02:14 GMT 4 pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.1 is no more supported, please update to a supported version like 5.1a or 5.1b. There is a problem leading to termination of network connection if reaching 96 days of uptime. There is a fix available for the supported os versions.

The "out of memory" message indicates a resource problem of the application. There are limited resources within the X11 system. A release of a handle does not lead to a release of the memory - this is a X11 concept issue. Be sure your application reuses defined resources and the X11 system is restarted every time a user logs out. Be sure the X11 system is started with -terminate option leading to restart and release of the allocated memory - without it the X11 system will never release any memory allocated!

As per the above reply the 5.1 has no more supported by Hp. Now we are planning to upgrade the os verion of Tru64 ver 5.1B.but as per the reply the 5.1b also got the same problem itseems .Hence can any one can pls suggest me the solution for the same .If at all any pathces required pls let me know the Patch id and the URL where I can download the same.Kindly reply at the earliest.

Thanks
KH

8 REPLIES 8
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you would need to install patch kit 3 or 4 anyway and as much as I can remember this 96day issue is handled there.

greetings,

Michael

ps. check, that the hardware is still supported under 5.1B!
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

If 5.1B with actual patchkit have also the problem then it seems your application is the root cause of the problem. As described within my answer the XServer have limited resources. If this resources are all allocated the Xserver will core.

Try the following: Set the -terminate option as given within my first answer and log off every evening from CDE (so Xserver will be restarted). If Xserver will not core it seems your application have a resource/memory leak. In this case open a call within the vendor of your application.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
hareesh
Advisor

Hi,
Thank u for ur reply.Mean While I just wanted to infor u that I have not yet upgraded my os to 5.1B,since Ralf Puchner mentioned in erlier reply that 5.1b also got the same problem and it can be solved by adding the patch.So I am planning to upgrade the os and update the patch.

So can u pls let me know the exact patch number which i suppose to add to solve the same.

Thanks & Regards
KH
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

haaresh,

it seems you have not understood all my answers.

Why not starting using the given test method? After your 50 day information I can not believe that this problem is the root cause of your problems most likely your application waste resources...

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

What Ralf meant was,

update to 5.1b plus current patch kit.
If symptoms persist, it is most likely a problem with the application.

hth,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

it is not necessary to update. Simply doing the suggested test will do the job...
hareesh
Advisor

Hi Ralf Puchner ,

Sorry one thing i forgot to tell u that i have tried the same experiment but not every day one in a week if i restart the dtlogin the problem won't come .so it clear that the peoblem with X11 resources management.Since my all workstaions are used for operational applications i won't be able to terminate every day or every week.the experiment i have done with a separate workstation with the real setup as operational workstation.
I think now u r clear, can u pls sugest me a solution for the same..pls give the patch details also...

thanks
KH
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

If it is a resource problem open a call within your software vendor - the only chance to get it fixed (it is a bug).

Another approach is to add additional memory maybe problem will appear later.