5589 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Regarding DR backup solution

Srinikalyan
Regular Advisor

Regarding DR backup solution

Hi,

In the Disaster Recovery site, we have XP12k and an EVA8100 storage arrays and currently XP12k storage acts as a CA XP Async Journal SVOL. Since the DR XP acts as a SVOL, the storage are not mounted on the DR server which in turn we are not able to take a tape backup using NetBackup product. We are not in the position to break the CA XP replication, mount DR storage and take a backup because of some reason.

Is there any other method or solution to overcome this issue?
Can I use Business copy to replicate the DR XP storage to DR EVA, break the BC pair, mount the BC storage and then take tape NetBackup? Is this feasible?

Thanks,
Srini
4 REPLIES 4
Berd
Trusted Contributor

Srini,

You can have a number of copies of your PVOLS. I think upto 3. So you in theory you could create a second copy, sync and split it. Then perform your tape backup, and resync.

Hope this helps.

Berd
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I've done similar with EMC and frankly I reviewed both storage and DR methodologies. They were similar (vedors hate when you say that...).
So you should be able to make a BC mirror copy and split it off and mount it elsewhere.
If you're in a clustered environment, the best thing is to mount on a server that is Outside the clustered nodes.

But yes, you should be able to do this.

Rgrds,
Rita

>> Can I use Business copy to replicate the DR XP storage to DR EVA, break the BC pair, mount the BC storage and then take tape NetBackup? Is this feasible?

The problem here is you cannot use business copy to mirror from an XP to an EVA... (unless the EVA is configured as external storage for the XP).

If you have sufficient disk and BC licenses in the XP, you can create a BC of the CA SVOL there, call pairsplit and then mount the BC.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Srinikalyan
Regular Advisor

Thanks folks.

Duncan, We will be using only external storage. So no issues.

I need a further clarification on BC.
1. Let's say CA XP SVOL created with 4 LDEV's having 3 mount points of VG vg_test. Can I have a single mount point with 4 LDEV's of VG vg_bc after a pair split.
2. Is the business copy continuous replication script the same like CA XP replication i.e. adding another instance on the horcm conf files with the pairing information?

Thanks,
Srini