cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding volume group remove on HP-UX 11i V1

Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Regarding volume group remove on HP-UX 11i V1

I want to disconnect the old storage and remove the old volume groups. I want to know whether it is possible to remove the volume groups if disk device files state status is unclaimed. Or I can remove volume groups only if disk device files state status is claimed? Why I am asking is because tomorrow I will be disconnecting the fiber cables connected from old storage to this server. As when I will disconnect the fiber cables the disk device file state status will be unclaimed or it is best practice to remove the old volume group first before disconnecting the fiber cables?

Thanks,
Narendra
3 REPLIES
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding volume group remove on HP-UX 11i V1

Hi,
-First unmount the file systems in the old VGs. Populate the /etc/fstab.
-Use "vgchange -a n" to deactivate the old VGs.
-Use vgexport to remove VG information from the server.

Then you can disconnect fibre the cables.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Naresh,

Claimed and unclaimed are status of software binding. If the status is unclaimed the kernel driver associated with the device is not present. In v3 LUNS have the concept of dynamic discovery were instance numbers and device files are automatically generated. In 11.00 and 11.11 "take precautions". Hope this helps! If you are presenting the same LUNS on to a different server there is a standard procedure.

Regards
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

after disconnecting of the cable all the disks will be in the status NO_HW, the reboot of the server will clean the missed devices.

mikap